We’re sad and psyched in equal measure about On [Activism] as it’s the final talk in our current series. However, to end on a high, we’ve got an absolutely stellar line-up for the evening: Lucienne Roberts, Francesca Gavin, and Ken Garland will explore activism in relation to the creative industry. Pretty exciting, we know.
On [Activism] synopses
Lucienne Roberts is a signatory of First Things First 2000 and her books include Good: An Introduction to Ethics in Graphic Design. Influenced as much by feminism and opposition to Thatcherism as Swiss typography, she defines herself as a lowercase ‘a’ kind of activist, arguing that activist aesthetics exclude many designers but that ‘small’ graphic interventions can still lead to valuable change.
Writer, curator and visual arts editor at Dazed, Francesca Gavin looks at open source art projects by artists like Oliver Laric, Aleksandra Domanovic and the more accessible edges of the internet. She will explore how rethinking ideas around collaboration and creativity are activating wider conversations and pushing the boundaries of contemporary art.
Widely respected as a key figure in the development of graphic design in the 20th Century, Ken Garland will discuss his hugely influential manifesto First Things First published in 1964, which is still considered a tour de force today. Conceived as a reaction to the dominance of consumer culture and advertising in graphic design, Garland proposed prioritising “more useful and lasting forms of communication” for social and cultural aims.
When and where
On [Activism] will be held on Tuesday September 27 at Red Bull Studios, 155-171 Tooley Street, London, SE1 2JP. Doors will open at 6.30pm, and the talks will begin at 7pm. Complimentary drinks will be provided.
The On […] Talks Series
Throughout the series, we have been treated to inspiring and revealing insights from the likes of Kate Stanners, George Hardie, Troika, Bompas & Parr, Morag Myesrcough and Mr Bingo, to name just a few. More details of individual talks, the themes & speakers are revealed here.
For tickets, contact email@example.com
- “It's not overly-shiny ‘render porn’ — it's got soul”: Margot Bowman on her new film for River Island
- Vogue interior photographer François Halard’s personal polaroids
- Nora Sturges’ clean and simple paintings using the unusual medium of eggs
- “A small Japanese photographer is on the same page of great photographers!”: Piczo joins WeFolk
- Illustrator Rob Flowers shares his treasure trove of books
- My First: Colophon and Sophie Mayanne talk about the themes of their book, Twenty-Two
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages