After the sell-out success of our first two talks, we’re serving up another treat of an evening: On [Innovation & Ownership]. Featuring not-to-be-missed talks by multidisciplinary art & design practice Troika, illustrator / educator / lecturer and writer extraordinaire Holly Wales, and the legend that is George Hardie.
On [Innovation & Ownership] synopses
Known for their experimental artworks, Troika are on the cusp between art, design, science and technology. They will discuss how they work collectively without designing by committee, their fascination for talking to arcane scientists, and how constant experimentation and critical thinking helps them to keep a fresh outlook on the world.
Holly Wales, joined by Bobby Evans from OPEN, will be exploring the ‘Ownership of The Visual’, thinking through making, and a thumbs down to the buying and crowd-sourcing of detached ideas; they are interested in curating a space where experimentation can be nurtured and cultivated in order to realise their ideas.
Using his own work as examples, wildly experienced graphic designer / illustrator George Hardie will talk candidly about borrowing in the ’70s (and working with Hipgnosis), stealing, innovation, re-invention, observation, homage, pastiche, plagiarism, rules, games and collaboration in the intervening decades; finally coming clean about his influences as he enters the ’10s. He might well prove there is actually nothing new under the sun.
The session will end with a short discussion involving all three speakers chaired by It’s Nice That.
When and where
On [Innovation & Ownership] will be held on 14th July at Red Bull studios. Doors will open at 6.30pm, and the talks will begin at 7pm.
The On […] Talks Series
Throughout the series, you can expect inspiring and revealing insights from the likes of Ken Garland, Lucienne Roberts, George Hardie, Francesca Gavin, Bompas & Parr, Kate Stanners and Mikey Please, to name just a few. We’ll be releasing details of individual talks nearer the time of each event, but to whet your appetite, the talk themes & speakers are revealed here.
- You lucky devils, it's Best of the Web!
- Bogdan Ceausescu and Sebastian Pren experiment with grids and shapes in their latest zine
- Friday Mixtape: Illustrator and guitarist Sophy Hollington's *feels* mixtape
- Photographer Anastasia Korosteleva's waterborne portraits of Maldivian girls
- We caught up with photographer Adama Jalloh
- Seoul studio Everyday Practice talks about its collaborative approach to design
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again