After the sell-out success of our first two talks, we’re serving up another treat of an evening: On [Innovation & Ownership]. Featuring not-to-be-missed talks by multidisciplinary art & design practice Troika, illustrator / educator / lecturer and writer extraordinaire Holly Wales, and the legend that is George Hardie.
On [Innovation & Ownership] synopses
Known for their experimental artworks, Troika are on the cusp between art, design, science and technology. They will discuss how they work collectively without designing by committee, their fascination for talking to arcane scientists, and how constant experimentation and critical thinking helps them to keep a fresh outlook on the world.
Holly Wales, joined by Bobby Evans from OPEN, will be exploring the ‘Ownership of The Visual’, thinking through making, and a thumbs down to the buying and crowd-sourcing of detached ideas; they are interested in curating a space where experimentation can be nurtured and cultivated in order to realise their ideas.
Using his own work as examples, wildly experienced graphic designer / illustrator George Hardie will talk candidly about borrowing in the ’70s (and working with Hipgnosis), stealing, innovation, re-invention, observation, homage, pastiche, plagiarism, rules, games and collaboration in the intervening decades; finally coming clean about his influences as he enters the ’10s. He might well prove there is actually nothing new under the sun.
The session will end with a short discussion involving all three speakers chaired by It’s Nice That.
When and where
On [Innovation & Ownership] will be held on 14th July at Red Bull studios. Doors will open at 6.30pm, and the talks will begin at 7pm.
The On […] Talks Series
Throughout the series, you can expect inspiring and revealing insights from the likes of Ken Garland, Lucienne Roberts, George Hardie, Francesca Gavin, Bompas & Parr, Kate Stanners and Mikey Please, to name just a few. We’ll be releasing details of individual talks nearer the time of each event, but to whet your appetite, the talk themes & speakers are revealed here.
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Cool off with this week's Best of the Web and who to follow on social media
- Elena Éper's spirited illustrations to make you smile and squirm
- Pencil Bandit and Grey London produce quirky branded stings for E4
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?