After the sell-out success of our first two talks, we’re serving up another treat of an evening: On [Innovation & Ownership]. Featuring not-to-be-missed talks by multidisciplinary art & design practice Troika, illustrator / educator / lecturer and writer extraordinaire Holly Wales, and the legend that is George Hardie.
On [Innovation & Ownership] synopses
Known for their experimental artworks, Troika are on the cusp between art, design, science and technology. They will discuss how they work collectively without designing by committee, their fascination for talking to arcane scientists, and how constant experimentation and critical thinking helps them to keep a fresh outlook on the world.
Holly Wales, joined by Bobby Evans from OPEN, will be exploring the ‘Ownership of The Visual’, thinking through making, and a thumbs down to the buying and crowd-sourcing of detached ideas; they are interested in curating a space where experimentation can be nurtured and cultivated in order to realise their ideas.
Using his own work as examples, wildly experienced graphic designer / illustrator George Hardie will talk candidly about borrowing in the ’70s (and working with Hipgnosis), stealing, innovation, re-invention, observation, homage, pastiche, plagiarism, rules, games and collaboration in the intervening decades; finally coming clean about his influences as he enters the ’10s. He might well prove there is actually nothing new under the sun.
The session will end with a short discussion involving all three speakers chaired by It’s Nice That.
When and where
On [Innovation & Ownership] will be held on 14th July at Red Bull studios. Doors will open at 6.30pm, and the talks will begin at 7pm.
The On […] Talks Series
Throughout the series, you can expect inspiring and revealing insights from the likes of Ken Garland, Lucienne Roberts, George Hardie, Francesca Gavin, Bompas & Parr, Kate Stanners and Mikey Please, to name just a few. We’ll be releasing details of individual talks nearer the time of each event, but to whet your appetite, the talk themes & speakers are revealed here.
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August