After the sell-out success of our first two talks, we’re serving up another treat of an evening: On [Innovation & Ownership]. Featuring not-to-be-missed talks by multidisciplinary art & design practice Troika, illustrator / educator / lecturer and writer extraordinaire Holly Wales, and the legend that is George Hardie.
On [Innovation & Ownership] synopses
Known for their experimental artworks, Troika are on the cusp between art, design, science and technology. They will discuss how they work collectively without designing by committee, their fascination for talking to arcane scientists, and how constant experimentation and critical thinking helps them to keep a fresh outlook on the world.
Holly Wales, joined by Bobby Evans from OPEN, will be exploring the ‘Ownership of The Visual’, thinking through making, and a thumbs down to the buying and crowd-sourcing of detached ideas; they are interested in curating a space where experimentation can be nurtured and cultivated in order to realise their ideas.
Using his own work as examples, wildly experienced graphic designer / illustrator George Hardie will talk candidly about borrowing in the ’70s (and working with Hipgnosis), stealing, innovation, re-invention, observation, homage, pastiche, plagiarism, rules, games and collaboration in the intervening decades; finally coming clean about his influences as he enters the ’10s. He might well prove there is actually nothing new under the sun.
The session will end with a short discussion involving all three speakers chaired by It’s Nice That.
When and where
On [Innovation & Ownership] will be held on 14th July at Red Bull studios. Doors will open at 6.30pm, and the talks will begin at 7pm.
The On […] Talks Series
Throughout the series, you can expect inspiring and revealing insights from the likes of Ken Garland, Lucienne Roberts, George Hardie, Francesca Gavin, Bompas & Parr, Kate Stanners and Mikey Please, to name just a few. We’ll be releasing details of individual talks nearer the time of each event, but to whet your appetite, the talk themes & speakers are revealed here.
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- Anxiety, speed and rave flyers: artist Mark Leckey on his iconic video "Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore"
- We speak to Lovetrue director Alma Har’el about her surrealist short film for The Fifth Sense
- Adventures in Typography: Spin’s new book about its creative process
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality