After the sell-out success of our first two talks, we’re serving up another treat of an evening: On [Innovation & Ownership]. Featuring not-to-be-missed talks by multidisciplinary art & design practice Troika, illustrator / educator / lecturer and writer extraordinaire Holly Wales, and the legend that is George Hardie.
On [Innovation & Ownership] synopses
Known for their experimental artworks, Troika are on the cusp between art, design, science and technology. They will discuss how they work collectively without designing by committee, their fascination for talking to arcane scientists, and how constant experimentation and critical thinking helps them to keep a fresh outlook on the world.
Holly Wales, joined by Bobby Evans from OPEN, will be exploring the ‘Ownership of The Visual’, thinking through making, and a thumbs down to the buying and crowd-sourcing of detached ideas; they are interested in curating a space where experimentation can be nurtured and cultivated in order to realise their ideas.
Using his own work as examples, wildly experienced graphic designer / illustrator George Hardie will talk candidly about borrowing in the ’70s (and working with Hipgnosis), stealing, innovation, re-invention, observation, homage, pastiche, plagiarism, rules, games and collaboration in the intervening decades; finally coming clean about his influences as he enters the ’10s. He might well prove there is actually nothing new under the sun.
The session will end with a short discussion involving all three speakers chaired by It’s Nice That.
When and where
On [Innovation & Ownership] will be held on 14th July at Red Bull studios. Doors will open at 6.30pm, and the talks will begin at 7pm.
The On […] Talks Series
Throughout the series, you can expect inspiring and revealing insights from the likes of Ken Garland, Lucienne Roberts, George Hardie, Francesca Gavin, Bompas & Parr, Kate Stanners and Mikey Please, to name just a few. We’ll be releasing details of individual talks nearer the time of each event, but to whet your appetite, the talk themes & speakers are revealed here.
- Cheeky, irreverent and vivid illustrations by Thomas Hedger
- Brilliant branding and a cracking It’s Nice That collaboration: introducing Unmade
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Stylish designs that aim to make online gift-buying as fun as "walking around a concept store"
- Alex Sheridan’s hilarious shots of comedian David O’Doherty in sports memorabilia
- Cult magazine Nova and its nods to “eroticism and extortion” photographed in a suitably 70s setting
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?