We thought Molly Molloy and Gianni Tozzi set the bar pretty high with the first issue of Parterre de Rois which combined carefully curated content and first-rate art to create a seamless first instalment of a new publication, all based on the theme “carnal.” As the second issue proves however, even the excellent can be bettered the second time around.
They’ve continued with the collage cover concept which originated with the last issue, as they have the thematic focus; this issue focuses on the idea “absent,” an idea which manifests itself through several beautiful art projects by the likes of Patti Smith (Patti Smith!), Lucy Williams, Andrew Miksys, Ilenia Cort and Mattero Mena.
They describe the issue: “Parterre de Rois is an imaginary dinner party of friends and strangers where one word is discussed by the guests, passed around, dissected and researched by insiders and outsiders. Good with their hands and good with their minds, the guests are photographers, artists, psychologists, poets, thinkers and game changers.” And with a limited edition of 500 copies, we’ll happily continue the metaphor and say that this is a swanky exclusive dinner and these guests people we desperately want to schmooze with.
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Five projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Designer Ted Hyunak Yoon creates a visual analysis of dictators’ statues in history
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant