We thought Molly Molloy and Gianni Tozzi set the bar pretty high with the first issue of Parterre de Rois which combined carefully curated content and first-rate art to create a seamless first instalment of a new publication, all based on the theme “carnal.” As the second issue proves however, even the excellent can be bettered the second time around.
They’ve continued with the collage cover concept which originated with the last issue, as they have the thematic focus; this issue focuses on the idea “absent,” an idea which manifests itself through several beautiful art projects by the likes of Patti Smith (Patti Smith!), Lucy Williams, Andrew Miksys, Ilenia Cort and Mattero Mena.
They describe the issue: “Parterre de Rois is an imaginary dinner party of friends and strangers where one word is discussed by the guests, passed around, dissected and researched by insiders and outsiders. Good with their hands and good with their minds, the guests are photographers, artists, psychologists, poets, thinkers and game changers.” And with a limited edition of 500 copies, we’ll happily continue the metaphor and say that this is a swanky exclusive dinner and these guests people we desperately want to schmooze with.
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)