Undeniably The Gentlewoman has re-defined what a woman’s fashion magazine can be by having a real opinion about the world around us. It’s all thanks to editor-in-chief Penny Martin, whose focus and clear vision has steered this biannual away from mainstream trends and explored personal style and inspiring women instead.
Issue No.6 back in 2012 caught my eye at the time and still has the ability to make me grin with that fantastic cover image of Angela Lansbury gleaming at me fresh-faced and bespectacled. It was a bold and welcome choice for a magazine cover and set up the rest of the issue with an air of greatness. With profiles including artist Tauba Auerbach and Selfridges creative director Alannah Weston as well as spreads using top-notch models Lara Stone and Yasmin Le Bon (swoon) among others, this issue in particular is rich with admiration for some truly dazzling women.
All of today’s posts are focusing on the speakers at Here 2014, picking out a particular project to enjoy once again. You can follow the action live over on our @HereLondon Twitter feed.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations