The endlessly busy folks over at Pentagram have just completed a new identity for Luminato, a 10-day celebration of music, theatre, dance, visual arts, literature and film in Toronto. The Pentagram team were brought in, under Michael Bierut’s guidance, to transform a previously lacking piece of branding into a more cohesive whole that can be rolled out with subtly different iterations for years to come.
The previous Luminato identity had a distinctly cinematic theme; posters depicting a sprawling illustrated metropolis beneath a burning sunset formed the centrepiece of a corporate-looking campaign, heavily and confusingly dominated by the logo of the event sponsor L’Oreal. Pentagram have replaced this with a simple piece of distinctive branding, using a flexible grid and a number of bright colours across all print collateral, tying the campaign together visually but maintaining sufficient variety for each poster and flyer to feel fresh and unique. There’s also a greater emphasis placed on the performers and artists themselves, using photography in a more logical fashion than their predecessors. Shame it’s in Toronto really, otherwise we’d be there like a shot!
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Beil defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs