Press images from events gone by tend to be pretty bland. Not only is the event over but the images documenting it can very rarely convey the level of excitement or fun a place had to offer. That was, until, Secret Cinema put on their spectacular Laura Marling event and actually got the job done properly. Not just properly, magnificently! The top-secret event was held in a beautiful old red brick school in London, decked from the insides out with ivy and old props transforming it into The Grand Eagle Hotel.
Ethereal Marling wandered the halls in a white gown while revellers, dressed in 1920s finery, sipped cocktails and experimented in the countless high-ceilinged rooms with romantic activities such as self portrait drawing, letter writing, secret spilling and dancing to the sound of scratchy old gramophones. As you can see, the photographs still can’t quite get that kind of magic across, but they come mighty close. That one of Laura Marling serenading Willy Mason in a beautiful little bedroom — beautiful! More photos over here.
- Dressed in Black: the resolute book covers of the Spektrum series
- Dima Shriyeav’s textured poster designs incorporate hand-drawn and digital elements
- Hai-Hsin Huang’s detailed and delicate illustrations present “the lightness of being”
- Laurent Eisler draws playful figures in “precariously balanced compositions”
- Small Gods magazine explores “anomalies of the drone”
- Adam Wells animates Love and Radio’s Dan Deacon interview through obtuse vignettes
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s