Press images from events gone by tend to be pretty bland. Not only is the event over but the images documenting it can very rarely convey the level of excitement or fun a place had to offer. That was, until, Secret Cinema put on their spectacular Laura Marling event and actually got the job done properly. Not just properly, magnificently! The top-secret event was held in a beautiful old red brick school in London, decked from the insides out with ivy and old props transforming it into The Grand Eagle Hotel.
Ethereal Marling wandered the halls in a white gown while revellers, dressed in 1920s finery, sipped cocktails and experimented in the countless high-ceilinged rooms with romantic activities such as self portrait drawing, letter writing, secret spilling and dancing to the sound of scratchy old gramophones. As you can see, the photographs still can’t quite get that kind of magic across, but they come mighty close. That one of Laura Marling serenading Willy Mason in a beautiful little bedroom — beautiful! More photos over here.
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Considered, understated but experimental work from Berlin studio Tim+Tim
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Unusual perspectives on imagined architectures by Atelier Olschinsky
- Photographing the migrant crisis with a focus on people, not sensationalism
- What are creatives' favourite words?
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- Printed Pages SS16 is now available for pre-order – with exclusive prints and more!
- Rome-based Andrea Chronopoulos’ illustrations are quirky and a little bit cheeky
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled