Press images from events gone by tend to be pretty bland. Not only is the event over but the images documenting it can very rarely convey the level of excitement or fun a place had to offer. That was, until, Secret Cinema put on their spectacular Laura Marling event and actually got the job done properly. Not just properly, magnificently! The top-secret event was held in a beautiful old red brick school in London, decked from the insides out with ivy and old props transforming it into The Grand Eagle Hotel.
Ethereal Marling wandered the halls in a white gown while revellers, dressed in 1920s finery, sipped cocktails and experimented in the countless high-ceilinged rooms with romantic activities such as self portrait drawing, letter writing, secret spilling and dancing to the sound of scratchy old gramophones. As you can see, the photographs still can’t quite get that kind of magic across, but they come mighty close. That one of Laura Marling serenading Willy Mason in a beautiful little bedroom — beautiful! More photos over here.
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"