Press images from events gone by tend to be pretty bland. Not only is the event over but the images documenting it can very rarely convey the level of excitement or fun a place had to offer. That was, until, Secret Cinema put on their spectacular Laura Marling event and actually got the job done properly. Not just properly, magnificently! The top-secret event was held in a beautiful old red brick school in London, decked from the insides out with ivy and old props transforming it into The Grand Eagle Hotel.
Ethereal Marling wandered the halls in a white gown while revellers, dressed in 1920s finery, sipped cocktails and experimented in the countless high-ceilinged rooms with romantic activities such as self portrait drawing, letter writing, secret spilling and dancing to the sound of scratchy old gramophones. As you can see, the photographs still can’t quite get that kind of magic across, but they come mighty close. That one of Laura Marling serenading Willy Mason in a beautiful little bedroom — beautiful! More photos over here.
- Swiss zine highlights the many times The Simpsons has predicted the future
- Twelve studio’s rippling identity for Beijing new media studio
- Mumbai-based artist Yashasvi Mathis' unconventional take on the world
- Gufram, the iconic funhouse bridging the gap between design and art
- Active Arab Women: Lara Al-Hadeedi records the determination of sporting Kuwaiti women
- Meet the French illustrator creating part-animal, part-human Frankenmonsters
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August