Yesterday this project came to us via an enormous, floppy, colourful publication with each page dedicated to a teenage girl from Leeds. This is the photography project of my dreams. Photographer Casey Orr has a Ph.D in photography and is a senior lecturer at Leeds Metropolitan University, she took time studying the type of girls you see around Leeds and was so fascinated by the day they expressed themselves through their fashion and hairstyles she decided to make a project out of it.
When you see crowds of them loitering round the town centre in any city it can be easy to just assume all these girls dress and look the same, but that is just not the case. Each one of them is a powerful woman in the making, carving out their persona with accessories and hairstyles bought with part-time job wages and a lot of spare time. These young girls are doing all they can to stand out from the crowd and use fashion as a means of doing so. Three cheers for Casey for spotting this and for putting these girls in print, on a pedestal where they belong.
This is by no means Casey’s best work, either. Go to her site to find documented voyages, portraits of whole towns, and a truly charming series of photos of unlit bonfires built by teenagers. New favourite photographer, hands down.
- It's Nice That visits the Turner Prize
- Our Favourite Places is promoting the creative wealth of innovative Sheffield
- Meet tarot-obsessed Gucci illustrator Jayde Fish
- Julia Autz documents Transnistria, a country steeped in Soviet nostalgia
- Felicity Marshall, the illustrator merging editorial and fashion design
- Wow Factor: the eye-popping results of A Load of Jargon's printing workshops
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf