Yesterday this project came to us via an enormous, floppy, colourful publication with each page dedicated to a teenage girl from Leeds. This is the photography project of my dreams. Photographer Casey Orr has a Ph.D in photography and is a senior lecturer at Leeds Metropolitan University, she took time studying the type of girls you see around Leeds and was so fascinated by the day they expressed themselves through their fashion and hairstyles she decided to make a project out of it.
When you see crowds of them loitering round the town centre in any city it can be easy to just assume all these girls dress and look the same, but that is just not the case. Each one of them is a powerful woman in the making, carving out their persona with accessories and hairstyles bought with part-time job wages and a lot of spare time. These young girls are doing all they can to stand out from the crowd and use fashion as a means of doing so. Three cheers for Casey for spotting this and for putting these girls in print, on a pedestal where they belong.
This is by no means Casey’s best work, either. Go to her site to find documented voyages, portraits of whole towns, and a truly charming series of photos of unlit bonfires built by teenagers. New favourite photographer, hands down.
- Best of the Web: the stuff we found online that we just can't wait to show you
- Cartoonist Nathan Cowdry introduces a strange and wonderful world in his comic, Western Voyeur
- Things: the August edition
- Andy Warhol: original FOMO artist, Polaroid photographer extraordinaire
- Bielke&Yang creates bright, playful Oslo Design Fair identity
- Bizarre film follows feline photographer Larry Johnson at New Jersey cat show
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- Sarah Illenberger explores horticulture with her exotic new series Wonderplants
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang