Piet Hein Eek already has an international reputation for creating furniture from waste material. He made his name in the 1990s for producing products built entirely from discarded materials too expensive to be turned into anything else. His frustration with this situation stemmed from the fact that the materials were thrown away not because they were of no use, but because the cost of labour was too great to make the finished products economically viable.
Flying in the face of commercial logic he’s been successfully selling his expensive recycled products to customers who appreciate their intricacy for over a decade. Now he’s taking the process one step further, creating furniture from the offcuts of his own workshop, meaning his objects are twice-recycled and no materials go to waste.
Waste Waste 40×40 is a collection made up of these offcuts fashioned into 40mm x 40mm pieces and arranged as a skin over a pre-fabricated structure. The benches, tables and chairs are therefore unique, their composite parts retaining paints and laquers left over from their previous iterations, offering the finished products a beautiful pixellated quality.
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Resolute yet playful designs for the If I Can't Dance groups’ compilation
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?
- Jeremy Jansen’s graphic design work bridges concept and coherency
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs