As I sit here in my tweed jacket, pondering whether or not I’d like a pipe to smoke, it seems apt that I dip into a bit of history – so let us dive military boot first into 1980s Romania. Under communist rule, Romania’s debt to the outside world grew sharply which led to a huge austerity push, impoverishing Romanians and crippling their industry. Nicolae Ceaușescu (then autocratic leader) began to increase the authority of his police state, ruthlessly enforcing a self-styled cult of personality. It culminated in his execution in the revolution of 1989.
Set against this contextual backdrop is a breathtaking photographic project by Ioana Cîrlig and Marin Raica. Post Industrial Stories is a long-term study of four regions in central and western Romania, all of which have a long history in exploitation of natural resources. Ioana and Marin aim to capture the real story behind the places and people staying in each town for months at a time: “By actually living there we can go beyond the skin-deep approach that we’ve previously used.”
They go on to explain that this will give them the “opportunity to meet and listen to unremarkable people, who are the very foundations of these little communities.”
Ultimately, Post Industrial Stories asks the tough questions and spends time on each element of the story, enabling the project to get at the heart of its subject matter— the impact of deindustrialisation, unemployment and poverty. Simply put, this project is a tour-de-force in documentary photography.
If you’d like to help Ioana and Marin continue to realise their dream project, you can help to keep the photos coming by calling and making a small donation: (RON) RO74 CECE C001 9462 6651 8311, (EUR) RO61 BRDE 445SV 590709 64450.
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant