“Summer summer summertime,” sung The Fresh Prince’s backing singers in his smash hit song, Summertime. Why? Because he freakin’ loves summertime – and so do we!
To celebrate the arrival of our favourite season we crammed our Summer issue full of fantastic art and design-related content, questioning Eike König about the objects that define him, investigating the growing trend of theatrical catwalk shows and touring the studios of some of the world’s finest children’s illustrators. We caught up with revolutionary artist Duke Riley to find out why it’s important to take huge risks, spoke to David Pearson about the best book covers of his career and learned that Marian Bantjes doesn’t understand the latest craze for beards.
Shit Girls Say’s Graydon Sheppard apologises to an old school friend, Eric Yahnker waxes lyrical on the highs and lows of American politics and we find out more about the career of Don Hunstein, a man who’s spent his life creating some of the most iconic imagery in rock ‘n’ roll history. We also gave Rami Niemi 16 pages to write an original comic that references each of the seven key themes in fiction. You can’t say fairer than that!
To lay your hand upon your very own copy head over to the Company of Parrots shop now!
- Moving Brands gives its opinions on the new Google logo design
- Typographic club posters that show how creativity flourishes within boundaries
- Eric Petersen's surreal illustrations take their cues from video games
- Paris-based Adrien Menard's portfolio experiments with letterforms and composition
- The creative process explained via egg metaphors, thanks to artist Honza Zamojski
- Vincent Girardot’s photo diary documents an alpine tour of fish, factories and firs
- No more serifs, same bright colours: Google launches new identity
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games logo scrapped over plagiarism row, according to reports
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Playfully tongue-in-cheek illustrations from Germany-based Cécile Dormeau
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield