“Summer summer summertime,” sung The Fresh Prince’s backing singers in his smash hit song, Summertime. Why? Because he freakin’ loves summertime – and so do we!
To celebrate the arrival of our favourite season we crammed our Summer issue full of fantastic art and design-related content, questioning Eike König about the objects that define him, investigating the growing trend of theatrical catwalk shows and touring the studios of some of the world’s finest children’s illustrators. We caught up with revolutionary artist Duke Riley to find out why it’s important to take huge risks, spoke to David Pearson about the best book covers of his career and learned that Marian Bantjes doesn’t understand the latest craze for beards.
Shit Girls Say’s Graydon Sheppard apologises to an old school friend, Eric Yahnker waxes lyrical on the highs and lows of American politics and we find out more about the career of Don Hunstein, a man who’s spent his life creating some of the most iconic imagery in rock ‘n’ roll history. We also gave Rami Niemi 16 pages to write an original comic that references each of the seven key themes in fiction. You can’t say fairer than that!
To lay your hand upon your very own copy head over to the Company of Parrots shop now!
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August