So this week, to mark Blur’s Outstanding Contribution to Music Award at The Brits we asked you to name your favourites from the band’s many and varied and videos. And naturally you rose to the challenge on our Facebook page, coming up with an eclectic list which confirmed what we always knew -It’s Nice That readers have a discerning eye for quality. In fact, we enjoyed the whole process so much that we will probably make this a regular feature, so keep your eyes peeled. On to the top five…
The top choice from our readers, the video for the opening track from 1993’s Modern Life is Rubbish was hailed by Andrew Hatcher as “a little iconography montage of the Blur aesthetic in 1992.”
There were several votes for this which brings together David Shrigley’s brilliance with one of the band’s most underrated (despite the title!) tracks.
Music is my Radar
One of only two Blur songs not to appear on a studio album, Music is My Radar was described as “pure videotainment” by Sean Coleman. The dancers look like they’ve been drummed out of a Daft Punk video for shedding too many garments, which adds to the charm for us .
From the uber popular great Escape album, this Clockwork Orange homage was one of the first major videos directed by Jonathan Glazer, of Karma Police fame.
To The End
David Mould created a pastiche of the 1960s French New Wave film Last Year in Marienbad with Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon pulled into an enigmatic love triangle.
Out of Time
Taken from 2003’s Think Tank it’s an anti-war effort which, rarely for them, does not feature the band in any way.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations