So this week, to mark Blur’s Outstanding Contribution to Music Award at The Brits we asked you to name your favourites from the band’s many and varied and videos. And naturally you rose to the challenge on our Facebook page, coming up with an eclectic list which confirmed what we always knew -It’s Nice That readers have a discerning eye for quality. In fact, we enjoyed the whole process so much that we will probably make this a regular feature, so keep your eyes peeled. On to the top five…
The top choice from our readers, the video for the opening track from 1993’s Modern Life is Rubbish was hailed by Andrew Hatcher as “a little iconography montage of the Blur aesthetic in 1992.”
There were several votes for this which brings together David Shrigley’s brilliance with one of the band’s most underrated (despite the title!) tracks.
Music is my Radar
One of only two Blur songs not to appear on a studio album, Music is My Radar was described as “pure videotainment” by Sean Coleman. The dancers look like they’ve been drummed out of a Daft Punk video for shedding too many garments, which adds to the charm for us .
From the uber popular great Escape album, this Clockwork Orange homage was one of the first major videos directed by Jonathan Glazer, of Karma Police fame.
To The End
David Mould created a pastiche of the 1960s French New Wave film Last Year in Marienbad with Damon Albarn and Graham Coxon pulled into an enigmatic love triangle.
Out of Time
Taken from 2003’s Think Tank it’s an anti-war effort which, rarely for them, does not feature the band in any way.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s