The lead-up to next month’s Winter Olympics in Sochi have (rightly) been dominated by discussion over Russia’s questionable gay rights record, but as the event nears the focus is likely to shift to the actual sport. This spine-tingling promo from RKCR /Y&R for the BBC’s coverage certainly strikes the right chord. In a similar way to how Channel 4’s multi-award-winning Meet The Superhumans identified a new way of looking at paralytic sport, the idea of Winter Olympians conquering nature repoints the way we look at these sporting endeavours.
Add in a stirring poetic voiceover and some terrific animation of an unforgiving mountainous snowscape (which took the agency ten months to complete) and you have a terrifically powerful two minutes.
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”