Everyone was thrilled to see Chelsea FC’s “captain, leader, legend” John George Terry lift the Premier League trophy for the 5th time in his career in May. The second edition of Season Annual documents the rollercoaster ride that was the 2016/17 Premier League season across 420 pages, charting the games and action that led to Chelsea being crowned champions. Packed with stats, match reports, statistics and analysis, Season Annual is a beautiful document of the most revered league in the beautiful game.
Season Annual includes contributions from three graphic designers, 39 illustrators and three sport journalists to create an “honest, impartial, design-led account of the highs and lows of this season’s Premier League. Organised into a week by week analysis the publication unpicks the happenings from the season from Antonio Conte’s pitch side dramatics to the race to the bottom by clubs from the North East (Middlesborough, Sunderland and Hull City).
Founded by Charlie Sims, Sam Smith and Josh Williams, who graduated together from Kingston University in 2014, the second issue of Season Annual, like the first, was funded using Kickstarter. Illustrator who contributed to the issue include Gus Scott, Joe Gamble, Martin Gordopelota and FC City Boys.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc