There are plenty of beautiful urban regeneration projects around the world that achieve their aims just splendidly (for example, my attempt to regenerate a very drab looking concrete back-yard by adding a pot plant). But let’s pull focus on scale because every now and then we come across a project that stands alone with its awe-inspiring ability to evoke emotional responses within us; it will amaze, excite and stun us with its vision and ambition.
And so it is with Silo 468 designed by Tapio Rosenius of The Lighting Design Collective based in Madrid. Just by browsing the visuals, Silo 468 refuses to be placed in the ‘just another’ category, rather, it draws you into its world of environmentally interactive swarm illuminations, set around and within a vast disused oil silo in Helsinki, Finland.
It was converted by installing 1250 white LEDs that flicker and sway on the surface with movable steel mirrors which respond to Helsinki’s prevailing winds, triggering the different and endlessly variable light patterns in real time. Tapio Rosenius aimed to create a sense of enduring fascination by fusing the complex movements of nature and light with a specific location so as to be captivating for visitors and residents of Helsinki alike. There’s no doubting these aims have been fulfilled – I’ll never look at my pot plant with the same love.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know