There are plenty of beautiful urban regeneration projects around the world that achieve their aims just splendidly (for example, my attempt to regenerate a very drab looking concrete back-yard by adding a pot plant). But let’s pull focus on scale because every now and then we come across a project that stands alone with its awe-inspiring ability to evoke emotional responses within us; it will amaze, excite and stun us with its vision and ambition.
And so it is with Silo 468 designed by Tapio Rosenius of The Lighting Design Collective based in Madrid. Just by browsing the visuals, Silo 468 refuses to be placed in the ‘just another’ category, rather, it draws you into its world of environmentally interactive swarm illuminations, set around and within a vast disused oil silo in Helsinki, Finland.
It was converted by installing 1250 white LEDs that flicker and sway on the surface with movable steel mirrors which respond to Helsinki’s prevailing winds, triggering the different and endlessly variable light patterns in real time. Tapio Rosenius aimed to create a sense of enduring fascination by fusing the complex movements of nature and light with a specific location so as to be captivating for visitors and residents of Helsinki alike. There’s no doubting these aims have been fulfilled – I’ll never look at my pot plant with the same love.
- Making propaganda about propaganda: Metahaven’s new film considers fantasy and truth in internet culture
- The world’s largest Renoir collection is made accessible to all by filmmaker Phil Grabsky
- Ryan Peltier plays with scale in his neatly constructed space-themed illustrations
- First Dates for those who create: Jessica Walsh and Timothy Goodman talk dating and working (and both)
- Vogue celebrates 100 years of style at the National Portrait Gallery
- Superb designs by London studio Julia for the Whitechapel Gallery
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016