There are plenty of beautiful urban regeneration projects around the world that achieve their aims just splendidly (for example, my attempt to regenerate a very drab looking concrete back-yard by adding a pot plant). But let’s pull focus on scale because every now and then we come across a project that stands alone with its awe-inspiring ability to evoke emotional responses within us; it will amaze, excite and stun us with its vision and ambition.
And so it is with Silo 468 designed by Tapio Rosenius of The Lighting Design Collective based in Madrid. Just by browsing the visuals, Silo 468 refuses to be placed in the ‘just another’ category, rather, it draws you into its world of environmentally interactive swarm illuminations, set around and within a vast disused oil silo in Helsinki, Finland.
It was converted by installing 1250 white LEDs that flicker and sway on the surface with movable steel mirrors which respond to Helsinki’s prevailing winds, triggering the different and endlessly variable light patterns in real time. Tapio Rosenius aimed to create a sense of enduring fascination by fusing the complex movements of nature and light with a specific location so as to be captivating for visitors and residents of Helsinki alike. There’s no doubting these aims have been fulfilled – I’ll never look at my pot plant with the same love.
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography