It was London Design Festival last week and so creative stores city-wide joined in the excitement; perhaps none more so than Darkroom. The design accessories store launched a season of products based on the work of Italian architect and designer Ettore Sottsass using themes he introduced during his time with the legendary Memphis group.
The accompanying installation, called So Sottsass, has seen the store transformed into an Aladdin’s cave of hand-painted laminated-style patterns, garish prints and wacky colour combinations, in products created in collaboration with artists and designers including Studio Pepe, Spotti Edizione, Jamie Julien-Brown, Elke Kramer, and Zuzunaga.
The store have looked to apply some of Sottsass’ playful spirit to the collection, nudging gently at the assigned roles of products from furniture and fashion to textiles and stationery, while pushing the boundaries of design. The store explain: “For our So Sottsass season, Darkroom will be drawing on the designer’s bright and playful palette from his time with the legendary Memphis Group, and we’ll also be finding inspiration from the rough-edged modernism of his early ceramics and glassworks, hewn with an eye for structural simplicity and a penchant for wistful futurism.”
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant