Afternoon, podlings! Liv Siddall is back again with her face-for-radio companions Maisie Skidmore and James Cartwright. This week is very special as they are also joined by editor-in-chief Rob Alderson! Wheyyy! This truly is all the art and design news and muffled giggles you’ll ever need. Probably.
You can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes right here. You can also – should the fancy take you – add a comment using the thread at the bottom of this article.
First up we chat about what we’d give to go to SXSW festival (a lot it turns out) and move swiftly on to chatting about Grayson Perry’s extraordinary lecture to finish off the Women of the World Festival. We then caught up with Rob about the best bits of Design Indaba where he’s been for the last few weeks – lucky devil! – in particular a moving talk from experienced photographer David Goldblatt.
In section two we debated the lasting value of Pono, Neil Young’s answer to an INCREDIBLY high quality audio portable music device, and then talked about our favourite stories that emerged from interviewing the fantastic creatives in the new issue of Printed Pages magazine – lush! Don’t forget to hear the best things our guests saw this week, in particular a tapestry that James…zzz…sorry, a tapestry that James talks about where it’s really…zzz…
- Illustrator Richard Ellis’ joyfully large-breasted and bare-bottomed characters
- Graphic design grad Georgia Cranstoun reconsiders authorship with a “bootleg” book
- Bohuy Kim’s “strange but splendid” poster designs
- Tokyo-based photographer Yota Yoshida’s “poetic expressions in the everyday”
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know