Yep. That’s right, Liv bloody Siddall has taken the reins of the podcast, leading Maisie Skidmore and James Cartwright off into the night like “a drunk, blind captain of a ship.” Rob Alderson’s off this week, and so like the kid’s table at a wedding we were left to fend for ourselves. The results weren’t actually that bad, and we managed to have intelligent discussions about art and design news.
You can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes right here. You can also – should the fancy take you – add a comment using the thread at the bottom of this article.
First up James Cartwright told us about his favourite picks from the graphic design category of the Designs of the Year 2014, including some illustration work by Rami Niemi and Chris Ware. You can see the nominations and pick your own favourites (floating school, anyone?) over here on the Design Museum site. Next we chatted about the hoo-ha surrounding the Sochi winter Olympics and the “good luck” videos that have been challenging Russia’s views on gay athletes. From Channel 4’s Gay Mountain video to the Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion luge advert that claims “The Winter Olympics Games have always been a little bit gay.”
As we rolled seamlessly (ahem) into the second section we discussed Michel Gondry’s outstanding new video for Metronomy’s new single Love Letters and gushed about where he fits into the music video climate of today, and of course how much we love him and always will. See you next week, listeners!
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August