Yep. That’s right, Liv bloody Siddall has taken the reins of the podcast, leading Maisie Skidmore and James Cartwright off into the night like “a drunk, blind captain of a ship.” Rob Alderson’s off this week, and so like the kid’s table at a wedding we were left to fend for ourselves. The results weren’t actually that bad, and we managed to have intelligent discussions about art and design news.
You can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes right here. You can also – should the fancy take you – add a comment using the thread at the bottom of this article.
First up James Cartwright told us about his favourite picks from the graphic design category of the Designs of the Year 2014, including some illustration work by Rami Niemi and Chris Ware. You can see the nominations and pick your own favourites (floating school, anyone?) over here on the Design Museum site. Next we chatted about the hoo-ha surrounding the Sochi winter Olympics and the “good luck” videos that have been challenging Russia’s views on gay athletes. From Channel 4’s Gay Mountain video to the Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion luge advert that claims “The Winter Olympics Games have always been a little bit gay.”
As we rolled seamlessly (ahem) into the second section we discussed Michel Gondry’s outstanding new video for Metronomy’s new single Love Letters and gushed about where he fits into the music video climate of today, and of course how much we love him and always will. See you next week, listeners!
- Long-limbed characters play out scenes in Serafine Frey's brilliant illustrations
- An insight into The Guardian’s newly released brand guidelines
- Humorously choreographed nudes in Ave Pildas’ photography
- Renowned design writers Charlotte and Peter Fiell show us what's on their bookshelf
- Talking ten years of Fantastic Man with Gert Jonkers and Jop van Bennekom
- Absence, loneliness and the western quest for happiness: the strange world of Vacuum
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Abstract, symbol-laden work from designer Hirofumi Abe
- Creative producer Luella Lane tells us about her amazing 80s sticker collection