Yep. That’s right, Liv bloody Siddall has taken the reins of the podcast, leading Maisie Skidmore and James Cartwright off into the night like “a drunk, blind captain of a ship.” Rob Alderson’s off this week, and so like the kid’s table at a wedding we were left to fend for ourselves. The results weren’t actually that bad, and we managed to have intelligent discussions about art and design news.
You can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes right here. You can also – should the fancy take you – add a comment using the thread at the bottom of this article.
First up James Cartwright told us about his favourite picks from the graphic design category of the Designs of the Year 2014, including some illustration work by Rami Niemi and Chris Ware. You can see the nominations and pick your own favourites (floating school, anyone?) over here on the Design Museum site. Next we chatted about the hoo-ha surrounding the Sochi winter Olympics and the “good luck” videos that have been challenging Russia’s views on gay athletes. From Channel 4’s Gay Mountain video to the Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion luge advert that claims “The Winter Olympics Games have always been a little bit gay.”
As we rolled seamlessly (ahem) into the second section we discussed Michel Gondry’s outstanding new video for Metronomy’s new single Love Letters and gushed about where he fits into the music video climate of today, and of course how much we love him and always will. See you next week, listeners!
- Jason Shulman captures entire movies in a single image
- Rebecca Chew adds handcrafts to Esquire Singapore’s art direction
- A sublime update of work from photography duo Scheltens & Abbenes
- Brand Union discusses the merits and pitfalls of the design process behind the Tokyo 2020 Olympics logo
- Baker and Alex Simpson’s film on the legacy of modernist architect Wells Coates
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery