Hello listeners! Listen up as that is your duty, to four monkeys talking about the art and design news of today. We have all your cultural needs plus a whole lot more. Really though, when I say “more” I mean if you like hearing people mercilessly take the piss out of Printed Pages editor James Cartwright then you’re in for a treat as he gets an absolute battering in this episode. Enjoy!
You can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes right here. You can also – should the fancy take you – add a comment using the thread at the bottom of this article.
This week we chatted about our best and worst festival experiences – get ready for an absolute whirlwind of a tale from Rob Alderson – then moved on to discussing the Designs of the Year nominations 2014. Next up we discussed this year’s Secret 7" project that has been entered by the likes of Sir Paul Smith, Jeremy Deller and Modern Toss.
After the ever-catchy jingle we then discussed Sarah Lucas being chosen to represent the UK at the next Venice Biennale, and the new YCN redesign courtesy of prolific designer Matt Willey. If you’re looking for the fantastic article by Sophie Heawood about Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow that we discussed, just go over here.
- Sam Pilling directs video for DJ Shadow track Nobody Speaks
- Mrzyk & Moriceau's hilariously psychedelic music video for The Avalanches
- Nick Waplington's artwork for Yak, a striking representation of their sound
- Ondrej Bachor and Jan Horcik create ever-evolving identity for fashion designer Karolina Jurikova
- Bodil Jane's illustrations: ornate, exotic and really very lovely
- Drifting SUVs in the Arabian desert: Peter Garritano explores the world of hajwalah
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August