Hello listeners! Listen up as that is your duty, to four monkeys talking about the art and design news of today. We have all your cultural needs plus a whole lot more. Really though, when I say “more” I mean if you like hearing people mercilessly take the piss out of Printed Pages editor James Cartwright then you’re in for a treat as he gets an absolute battering in this episode. Enjoy!
You can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes right here. You can also – should the fancy take you – add a comment using the thread at the bottom of this article.
This week we chatted about our best and worst festival experiences – get ready for an absolute whirlwind of a tale from Rob Alderson – then moved on to discussing the Designs of the Year nominations 2014. Next up we discussed this year’s Secret 7" project that has been entered by the likes of Sir Paul Smith, Jeremy Deller and Modern Toss.
After the ever-catchy jingle we then discussed Sarah Lucas being chosen to represent the UK at the next Venice Biennale, and the new YCN redesign courtesy of prolific designer Matt Willey. If you’re looking for the fantastic article by Sophie Heawood about Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow that we discussed, just go over here.
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- Stina Löfgren’s instructional illustrations for practical lunges
- Scandinavian aesthetics and do-right design approach: the brand values of Nudie Jeans
- A beautiful portrait of the communities, theatre and blingy pants of South Yorkshire wrestling
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Grey London's thoughtful, powerful and innovative new campaign for Tate Britain
- Anthony Burrill on starting out and staying focussed
- Introducing French design studio plus mûrs and its beautiful poster designs