Three cheers for the It’s Nice That podcast and all who sail in her! This week we’re dropping conversational anchor in four art and design topics that you’ll salivate over like a salty sea-dog drools over a quart of rum. As ever you can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes here. And if you’ve got something to add to the discussion you can use the comment thread below.
We kicked off this week discussing Morrisons projecting a huge baguette advert on the 55-metre wingspan of Antony Gormley’s Angel Of The North sculpture and the supermarket’s subsequent apology, before moving on to discuss the new Artangel project in south London based in a house where Van Gogh once lived. We then looked at Tumblr’s 3.3 billion customisation options on its new app and asked what that might mean, before rounding off asking why The Met Ball gets fashionista tongues wagging every year.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs