Three cheers for the It’s Nice That podcast and all who sail in her! This week we’re dropping conversational anchor in four art and design topics that you’ll salivate over like a salty sea-dog drools over a quart of rum. As ever you can listen via the SoundCloud embed below or subscribe via iTunes here. And if you’ve got something to add to the discussion you can use the comment thread below.
We kicked off this week discussing Morrisons projecting a huge baguette advert on the 55-metre wingspan of Antony Gormley’s Angel Of The North sculpture and the supermarket’s subsequent apology, before moving on to discuss the new Artangel project in south London based in a house where Van Gogh once lived. We then looked at Tumblr’s 3.3 billion customisation options on its new app and asked what that might mean, before rounding off asking why The Met Ball gets fashionista tongues wagging every year.
- Cheeky, irreverent and vivid illustrations by Thomas Hedger
- Brilliant branding and a cracking It’s Nice That collaboration: introducing Unmade
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Stylish designs that aim to make online gift-buying as fun as "walking around a concept store"
- Alex Sheridan’s hilarious shots of comedian David O’Doherty in sports memorabilia
- Cult magazine Nova and its nods to “eroticism and extortion” photographed in a suitably 70s setting
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?