Right then pod-pickers, we’re back with an episode that ranges from the peaks of the Martin Creed show to the valleys of David Hasselhoff. And therein – your reporter would humbly suggest – lies the unique charm of the It’s Nice That podcast. There aren’t too many art and design publishers who bring that kind of dizzyingly weird breadth. As ever you can listen using the SoundCloud link below, or why not treat yourself and subscribe on iTunes for weekly audio goodness delivered direct to your portable MP3 player.
This week we kicked off with Liv Siddall who, freshly returned from the Hayward Gallery’s Martin Creed retrospective, was fulsome in her praise for an exhibition that captures the spirit of the man and his work. Maisie Skidmore was interested in news that various institutions were banning the use of camera phones to preserve some mystique and then we chatted about the backlash against longform fetishisation (and the backlash to the backlash). Finally we tiptoed not so subtly round the Magpile award shortlists and picked out some of those who deserve the accolades.
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- 100 hours with The Beatles: Shimpei Asai's photographs from 1966
- Joe Schlaud's cheeky Kama Sutra illustrations (NSFW)
- Artist Matthew F Fisher paints seascapes and wildlife with vivid precision
- Hayley Louisa Brown on travelling to Memphis as part of Ace & Tate's Creative Fund
- Photographer Roe Ethridge’s images blur the lines between commercial and sentimental
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”