Friday means lots of different things to lots of different people; whether you’re a hard-partying fun-seeker or a vagabond with a secret family for whom Friday marks the shedding of one life for the panicky preoccupation of the other. BUt here at It’s Nice That, Friday means Studio Audience, our weekly art and design podcast and this week we can promise sex, sculpture and rock n’ roll. One quick warning; we do discuss something somewhat naughty at the start of Section Two so some discretion advised.
You can listen via the SoundCloud link above or subscribe through iTunes here.
We kicked off this week’s podcast reflecting on the sad deaths of the inimitable Lou Reed, paradigm shifting sculptor Sir Anthony Caro and Marcia Wallace, the voice of Springfield’s most world-weary teacher. We also looked at design studio BERG’s move from design consultancy to tech start-up and looked ahead to feminist website Jezebel’s upcoming new book.
We started Section Two by taking on the art world story everyone is talking about; Central Saint Martins student Clayton Pettet’s plan for a one-off performance piece when he loses his virginity with a gay friend.
We then changed tack completely and spoke about Chip Kidd’s new book which s a graphic design guide for children agent ten and upwards. Introducing concepts like kerning and juxtaposition it also sets exercise for budding graphic designers to get their teeth into. Oh, and here’s Liv’s video of a Greggs paper bag blowing into a reporter’s face.
- Ed Carvalho-Monaghan’s line work is translated into knitwear for It’s Nice That’s Unmade collection
- A fierce portrait of the battles, snaps and outrageous outfits of voguing culture from Ewen Spencer
- Artist Andrey Remnev’s hypnotic Russian Medieval-style paintings
- Illustrator Lili des Bellons' chipper images are full of geometric whimsy
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Back to basics with Davide Di Gennaro’s symbol-heavy design workshop identity
- New Adult Swim project from the bonkers people behind some sexy Craigslist animations