Christmas time, mistletoe and wine, here’s a podcast of art and design, with logs on the fire, gifts on the tree, time to rejoice in the podcast we see! Sure, a Cliff-themed intro to get you in the mood this week and why ruddy not? You know the drill by now, us, in your ears, with the week’s creative and cultural tidbits.You can’t say fairer than that. You can listen via the SoundCloud link below or subscribe via iTunes here.
On last week’s podcast we said that Mould Map had 200 backers on Kickstarter when in actual fact it had around 800 at that point. Our bad and happy to clarify!
This week we kicked off talking about the print media and how they used their front covers to mark the sad passing of Nelson Mandela, we revelled in the brilliance of artist Alex Chinneck and we stumbled round the news that Macaulay Culkin is part of a pizza-themed Velvet Underground parody band. You heard!
First up we spoke about Pitchfork’s list of the top 25 album covers of 2013, picked out some favourites and wondered what they tell us about the state of album artwork in the digital age.
We moved on to chat about the latest issue of our Printed Pages magazine picking out some choice bits of content and reflecting on the past four publications.
- Soshiki Hakase directs super cute music video that brings household objects to life
- Hardcore bands, basketball and You Tube experiments – introducing designer and illustrator Sam Bailey
- Is colour subjective? Disegno tests Johannes Itten's colour theory
- The Book of Everyone: customisation isn’t simply slapping a name on a mug
- Photographer Mark Hartman on travelling to Coney Island every day to make his Island series
- Illustrator Lizzy Stewart shares some gems from her bookshelf
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again