Christmas time, mistletoe and wine, here’s a podcast of art and design, with logs on the fire, gifts on the tree, time to rejoice in the podcast we see! Sure, a Cliff-themed intro to get you in the mood this week and why ruddy not? You know the drill by now, us, in your ears, with the week’s creative and cultural tidbits.You can’t say fairer than that. You can listen via the SoundCloud link below or subscribe via iTunes here.
On last week’s podcast we said that Mould Map had 200 backers on Kickstarter when in actual fact it had around 800 at that point. Our bad and happy to clarify!
This week we kicked off talking about the print media and how they used their front covers to mark the sad passing of Nelson Mandela, we revelled in the brilliance of artist Alex Chinneck and we stumbled round the news that Macaulay Culkin is part of a pizza-themed Velvet Underground parody band. You heard!
First up we spoke about Pitchfork’s list of the top 25 album covers of 2013, picked out some favourites and wondered what they tell us about the state of album artwork in the digital age.
We moved on to chat about the latest issue of our Printed Pages magazine picking out some choice bits of content and reflecting on the past four publications.
- Swiss zine highlights the many times The Simpsons has predicted the future
- Twelve studio’s rippling identity for Beijing new media studio
- Mumbai-based artist Yashasvi Mathis' unconventional take on the world
- Gufram, the iconic funhouse bridging the gap between design and art
- Active Arab Women: Lara Al-Hadeedi records the determination of sporting Kuwaiti women
- Meet the French illustrator creating part-animal, part-human Frankenmonsters
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August