Christmas time, mistletoe and wine, here’s a podcast of art and design, with logs on the fire, gifts on the tree, time to rejoice in the podcast we see! Sure, a Cliff-themed intro to get you in the mood this week and why ruddy not? You know the drill by now, us, in your ears, with the week’s creative and cultural tidbits.You can’t say fairer than that. You can listen via the SoundCloud link below or subscribe via iTunes here.
On last week’s podcast we said that Mould Map had 200 backers on Kickstarter when in actual fact it had around 800 at that point. Our bad and happy to clarify!
This week we kicked off talking about the print media and how they used their front covers to mark the sad passing of Nelson Mandela, we revelled in the brilliance of artist Alex Chinneck and we stumbled round the news that Macaulay Culkin is part of a pizza-themed Velvet Underground parody band. You heard!
First up we spoke about Pitchfork’s list of the top 25 album covers of 2013, picked out some favourites and wondered what they tell us about the state of album artwork in the digital age.
We moved on to chat about the latest issue of our Printed Pages magazine picking out some choice bits of content and reflecting on the past four publications.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant