Christmas time, mistletoe and wine, here’s a podcast of art and design, with logs on the fire, gifts on the tree, time to rejoice in the podcast we see! Sure, a Cliff-themed intro to get you in the mood this week and why ruddy not? You know the drill by now, us, in your ears, with the week’s creative and cultural tidbits.You can’t say fairer than that. You can listen via the SoundCloud link below or subscribe via iTunes here.
On last week’s podcast we said that Mould Map had 200 backers on Kickstarter when in actual fact it had around 800 at that point. Our bad and happy to clarify!
This week we kicked off talking about the print media and how they used their front covers to mark the sad passing of Nelson Mandela, we revelled in the brilliance of artist Alex Chinneck and we stumbled round the news that Macaulay Culkin is part of a pizza-themed Velvet Underground parody band. You heard!
First up we spoke about Pitchfork’s list of the top 25 album covers of 2013, picked out some favourites and wondered what they tell us about the state of album artwork in the digital age.
We moved on to chat about the latest issue of our Printed Pages magazine picking out some choice bits of content and reflecting on the past four publications.
- Sam Pilling, Hattie Newman, Phil Sharp and Kit Caless at Nicer Tuesdays September
- Stephanie Unger’s instinctive illustrations use bright colours and simple shapes
- Graphic designer Timo Lenzen fuses hyperreal, architectural forms with vivid colours
- Nobrow co-founder Sam Arthur shares his favourite books
- Photographer Laura Pannack finds inspiration in a Romanian folk tale
- Ho Tam, the one-man-band publisher
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf