Hello world. Have you missed us? Course you ruddy have; you’ve had weeks where your fundamental arts and design chat needs have gone tragically uncatered for. But breathe a sigh of relief one and all because the It’s Nice That podcast is back, condensing various stories from the last week into a hands bus-journey filling 23 minutes. So sit up straight, download this week’s offering and rejoice at the glory of pod.
First up this week we discussed Yahoo!’s 30 days of Change project whereby they are changing their logo every day ahead of a relaunch next month, then we looked at Maria Sharapaova’s plan to change her to name to her own sweets brand for the upcoming US Open and we celebrated brilliant blog Before They Were Famous which lets us peek into the student portfolios of top advertising world names. Finally we looked at Vice’s new video series documenting nights out in the UK and shared a few thoughts about their recent deal with 21st Century Fox.
The main story we tackled in the second section of this week’s pod was the decision of the New York Supreme Court to reject a case against photographer Arne Svenson who took photos of his neighbour using a telephoto lens.
Then we looked at the decision by the Andy Warhol Foundation to set up a 24/7 live webcam feed of the artist’s grave and discussed why it seems like a fitting tribute to one of the 20th Century’s truly iconic figures.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting