Hello world. Have you missed us? Course you ruddy have; you’ve had weeks where your fundamental arts and design chat needs have gone tragically uncatered for. But breathe a sigh of relief one and all because the It’s Nice That podcast is back, condensing various stories from the last week into a hands bus-journey filling 23 minutes. So sit up straight, download this week’s offering and rejoice at the glory of pod.
First up this week we discussed Yahoo!’s 30 days of Change project whereby they are changing their logo every day ahead of a relaunch next month, then we looked at Maria Sharapaova’s plan to change her to name to her own sweets brand for the upcoming US Open and we celebrated brilliant blog Before They Were Famous which lets us peek into the student portfolios of top advertising world names. Finally we looked at Vice’s new video series documenting nights out in the UK and shared a few thoughts about their recent deal with 21st Century Fox.
The main story we tackled in the second section of this week’s pod was the decision of the New York Supreme Court to reject a case against photographer Arne Svenson who took photos of his neighbour using a telephoto lens.
Then we looked at the decision by the Andy Warhol Foundation to set up a 24/7 live webcam feed of the artist’s grave and discussed why it seems like a fitting tribute to one of the 20th Century’s truly iconic figures.
- Four illustrators have their works drawn by Joto at Here 2017
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos