Last week’s enforced move to escape the incessant drilling next to It’s Nice That HQ could and maybe should have broken a lesser podcast. But Studio Audience is made of sterner stuff and we bounced back with a vengeance to bring you yet another burst of quick-fire art and design chat. I particularly recommend the fruity Zach Braff Kickstarter discussion in Section Two. Enjoy!
First up in this section we looked at who the Design Museum had picked as this year’s Designers in Residence we wondered why the new Instagram logo hadn’t riled the design community’s comment boards and looked back at last week’s POINT conference in London (at which the full version of the Milton Glaser video above was aired). We also spoke about the recreation of an iconic artists’ canteen for Frieze New York and explored why Grey Spain’s clever ad for a children’s helpline (below) has received so much attention.
First up we picked over the furore surrounding Zach Braff’s decision to launch his new film project on creative crowd funding platform Kickstarter, the backlash to that exemplified in this Vice piece and Zach’s subsequent defence.
And in the second section as tis the season to visit grad shows we looked at what role they play in the contemporary creative scene and looked ahead to our own Grads project.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting