Last week’s enforced move to escape the incessant drilling next to It’s Nice That HQ could and maybe should have broken a lesser podcast. But Studio Audience is made of sterner stuff and we bounced back with a vengeance to bring you yet another burst of quick-fire art and design chat. I particularly recommend the fruity Zach Braff Kickstarter discussion in Section Two. Enjoy!
First up in this section we looked at who the Design Museum had picked as this year’s Designers in Residence we wondered why the new Instagram logo hadn’t riled the design community’s comment boards and looked back at last week’s POINT conference in London (at which the full version of the Milton Glaser video above was aired). We also spoke about the recreation of an iconic artists’ canteen for Frieze New York and explored why Grey Spain’s clever ad for a children’s helpline (below) has received so much attention.
First up we picked over the furore surrounding Zach Braff’s decision to launch his new film project on creative crowd funding platform Kickstarter, the backlash to that exemplified in this Vice piece and Zach’s subsequent defence.
And in the second section as tis the season to visit grad shows we looked at what role they play in the contemporary creative scene and looked ahead to our own Grads project.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know