Last week’s enforced move to escape the incessant drilling next to It’s Nice That HQ could and maybe should have broken a lesser podcast. But Studio Audience is made of sterner stuff and we bounced back with a vengeance to bring you yet another burst of quick-fire art and design chat. I particularly recommend the fruity Zach Braff Kickstarter discussion in Section Two. Enjoy!
First up in this section we looked at who the Design Museum had picked as this year’s Designers in Residence we wondered why the new Instagram logo hadn’t riled the design community’s comment boards and looked back at last week’s POINT conference in London (at which the full version of the Milton Glaser video above was aired). We also spoke about the recreation of an iconic artists’ canteen for Frieze New York and explored why Grey Spain’s clever ad for a children’s helpline (below) has received so much attention.
First up we picked over the furore surrounding Zach Braff’s decision to launch his new film project on creative crowd funding platform Kickstarter, the backlash to that exemplified in this Vice piece and Zach’s subsequent defence.
And in the second section as tis the season to visit grad shows we looked at what role they play in the contemporary creative scene and looked ahead to our own Grads project.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant