Last week’s enforced move to escape the incessant drilling next to It’s Nice That HQ could and maybe should have broken a lesser podcast. But Studio Audience is made of sterner stuff and we bounced back with a vengeance to bring you yet another burst of quick-fire art and design chat. I particularly recommend the fruity Zach Braff Kickstarter discussion in Section Two. Enjoy!
First up in this section we looked at who the Design Museum had picked as this year’s Designers in Residence we wondered why the new Instagram logo hadn’t riled the design community’s comment boards and looked back at last week’s POINT conference in London (at which the full version of the Milton Glaser video above was aired). We also spoke about the recreation of an iconic artists’ canteen for Frieze New York and explored why Grey Spain’s clever ad for a children’s helpline (below) has received so much attention.
First up we picked over the furore surrounding Zach Braff’s decision to launch his new film project on creative crowd funding platform Kickstarter, the backlash to that exemplified in this Vice piece and Zach’s subsequent defence.
And in the second section as tis the season to visit grad shows we looked at what role they play in the contemporary creative scene and looked ahead to our own Grads project.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery