It’s the snazziest time of the week again, Friday morning stands aloft, pregnant with all manner of possibilities. And what better way to kickstart the weekend than with our weekly podcast Studio Audience? No better way, and that’s science. Three guests, 23 minutes and 100% of the It’s Nice That directors, let’s do this thing world.
In the first section we discussed the most visited art shows in the world according to a new survey, a simple Facebook avatar that went viral in support of gay marriage and Microsoft’s huge new outdoor ad campaign. We also wondered why TV was jumping on the craft wagon with The Great British Sewing Bee while a new reality-style show will find a portraitist to paint the author Hilary Mantel, and we looked at John Malkovich’s new clothing line.
We dedicated the first part of our second section to the utterly brilliant Hugo and Marie show which has just opened at London’s KK Outlet, bringing more than 100 works from their insanely talented roster to a UK audience.
And we looked at the best and worst April Fool’s jokes which did the rounds this week, including this effort from Google (above) – and we asked why The Guardian felt the need to liveblog the hoaxiest day of the year.
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant