If days of the weeks were dogs, Monday would be a snarling, vicious rottweiler but Friday would be a seriously excited labrador puppy all bouncy, unbridled enthusiasm. And what’s that he’s got in its teeth? Why it’s the latest episode of Studio Audience, our very own podcast. So whether you’re heading out to soak up the sun, or shutting your blinds to keep springtime firmly out, this WILL improve your weekend. Enjoy!
Download this week’s episode via iTunes here or stream live off the web here.
In the first section this week we talked about the BP Portrait Award’s newly-unveiled, shorn-down shortlist and looked at Dove’s much-vaunted new advert (above) and its inevitable parody. We then tackled the big issue of male lingerie, asked whether the UK Culture Secretary was right to suggest arts funding should be based on economic criteria and finished off with some top-notch list chat, after Bono praised Jonny Ive to the skies in TIME and Nicolas Roope’s new Global Rich List made its bow.
First up in this section we paid tribute to Storm Thorgerson, the graphic designer whose Hipgnosis studio was responsible for some of the most iconic record sleeve art of the 1960s and 70s and who Adrian Shaughnessy brought to life in this excellent Creative Review article.
Then we looked at this video filmed by Dezeen in Milan wherein a host of top designers talked about the difficulties of deterring copying at the annual Salone.
- “Run towards the noise” – MINI contemplates the future of mobility and personalisation in London
- Photographer Benedetta Ristori documents cultural juxtapositions on the Baltic peninsula
- June Korea’s photographic fantasy: one man’s relationship with his sex doll
- Smart, funny and expertly executed party posters from German designer Mark Bohle
- Vice, despair and a bafflingly fertile imagination from Brooklyn-based Milton Melvin Croissant III
- A focus on typography in Ghent-based designer Corbin Mahieu's updated portfolio
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- World’s “ugliest” Pantone colour 448C is being used to deter smokers
- North evolves Tate identity to be more adaptable
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- More bonkers and surreal selfies from Izumi Miyazaki
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web