If days of the weeks were dogs, Monday would be a snarling, vicious rottweiler but Friday would be a seriously excited labrador puppy all bouncy, unbridled enthusiasm. And what’s that he’s got in its teeth? Why it’s the latest episode of Studio Audience, our very own podcast. So whether you’re heading out to soak up the sun, or shutting your blinds to keep springtime firmly out, this WILL improve your weekend. Enjoy!
Download this week’s episode via iTunes here or stream live off the web here.
In the first section this week we talked about the BP Portrait Award’s newly-unveiled, shorn-down shortlist and looked at Dove’s much-vaunted new advert (above) and its inevitable parody. We then tackled the big issue of male lingerie, asked whether the UK Culture Secretary was right to suggest arts funding should be based on economic criteria and finished off with some top-notch list chat, after Bono praised Jonny Ive to the skies in TIME and Nicolas Roope’s new Global Rich List made its bow.
First up in this section we paid tribute to Storm Thorgerson, the graphic designer whose Hipgnosis studio was responsible for some of the most iconic record sleeve art of the 1960s and 70s and who Adrian Shaughnessy brought to life in this excellent Creative Review article.
Then we looked at this video filmed by Dezeen in Milan wherein a host of top designers talked about the difficulties of deterring copying at the annual Salone.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design