If days of the weeks were dogs, Monday would be a snarling, vicious rottweiler but Friday would be a seriously excited labrador puppy all bouncy, unbridled enthusiasm. And what’s that he’s got in its teeth? Why it’s the latest episode of Studio Audience, our very own podcast. So whether you’re heading out to soak up the sun, or shutting your blinds to keep springtime firmly out, this WILL improve your weekend. Enjoy!
Download this week’s episode via iTunes here or stream live off the web here.
In the first section this week we talked about the BP Portrait Award’s newly-unveiled, shorn-down shortlist and looked at Dove’s much-vaunted new advert (above) and its inevitable parody. We then tackled the big issue of male lingerie, asked whether the UK Culture Secretary was right to suggest arts funding should be based on economic criteria and finished off with some top-notch list chat, after Bono praised Jonny Ive to the skies in TIME and Nicolas Roope’s new Global Rich List made its bow.
First up in this section we paid tribute to Storm Thorgerson, the graphic designer whose Hipgnosis studio was responsible for some of the most iconic record sleeve art of the 1960s and 70s and who Adrian Shaughnessy brought to life in this excellent Creative Review article.
Then we looked at this video filmed by Dezeen in Milan wherein a host of top designers talked about the difficulties of deterring copying at the annual Salone.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery