If days of the weeks were dogs, Monday would be a snarling, vicious rottweiler but Friday would be a seriously excited labrador puppy all bouncy, unbridled enthusiasm. And what’s that he’s got in its teeth? Why it’s the latest episode of Studio Audience, our very own podcast. So whether you’re heading out to soak up the sun, or shutting your blinds to keep springtime firmly out, this WILL improve your weekend. Enjoy!
Download this week’s episode via iTunes here or stream live off the web here.
In the first section this week we talked about the BP Portrait Award’s newly-unveiled, shorn-down shortlist and looked at Dove’s much-vaunted new advert (above) and its inevitable parody. We then tackled the big issue of male lingerie, asked whether the UK Culture Secretary was right to suggest arts funding should be based on economic criteria and finished off with some top-notch list chat, after Bono praised Jonny Ive to the skies in TIME and Nicolas Roope’s new Global Rich List made its bow.
First up in this section we paid tribute to Storm Thorgerson, the graphic designer whose Hipgnosis studio was responsible for some of the most iconic record sleeve art of the 1960s and 70s and who Adrian Shaughnessy brought to life in this excellent Creative Review article.
Then we looked at this video filmed by Dezeen in Milan wherein a host of top designers talked about the difficulties of deterring copying at the annual Salone.
- Cats flying out of speakers and our technology addiction: highlights from Channel 4 Random Acts
- Kyle Bean's tactile simulacrums are brought to life with wit and precision
- Margot Bowman rethinks the selfie and the future of personalisation
- Gorgeous Memphis-inspired, primary colour-packed work from Benjamin Rawson
- A cacophony of styles come together for this wacky promo animation for Gutter Fest
- The mesmerising graphic design of mid-century typewriter manufacturer Olivetti
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- The best design courses in the UK, according to The Guardian University Guide 2017
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"