Braaaap Braaaap Braaaaap! Yeah that’s right, not only is it Friday but we’ve got your arts and design audio needs sorted so help me pod. So why not put on a favourite jumper, pour yourself a lovely mug of tea or wine and wrap your ears around this week’s offering. You know it makes sense.
First up this week we talked about the very welcome news that plans to downgrade art and design in UK schools have been dropped, we gazed into a crystal ball as part of the O2 predictions project (see video below), we discussed Mark Wallinger’s new commission for 270 works across all the London Underground stations, we asked why the French Communist Party have replaced the traditional hammer and sickle and we praised Matthew Frost and Lizzy Caplan’s fashion Film spoof (above) to the high heavens.
And secondly we talked about photographer Giles Duley’s extraordinary trip back to Afghanistan, two years after he lost both legs and an arm after stepping on a landline there. Giles spoke at our Here event last year and the talk is well worth a watch as he talks about his amazing work documenting some of the most overlooked humanitarian disasters in the world. Last weekend he wrote this amazing piece in The Observer about his return.
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages