Braaaap Braaaap Braaaaap! Yeah that’s right, not only is it Friday but we’ve got your arts and design audio needs sorted so help me pod. So why not put on a favourite jumper, pour yourself a lovely mug of tea or wine and wrap your ears around this week’s offering. You know it makes sense.
First up this week we talked about the very welcome news that plans to downgrade art and design in UK schools have been dropped, we gazed into a crystal ball as part of the O2 predictions project (see video below), we discussed Mark Wallinger’s new commission for 270 works across all the London Underground stations, we asked why the French Communist Party have replaced the traditional hammer and sickle and we praised Matthew Frost and Lizzy Caplan’s fashion Film spoof (above) to the high heavens.
And secondly we talked about photographer Giles Duley’s extraordinary trip back to Afghanistan, two years after he lost both legs and an arm after stepping on a landline there. Giles spoke at our Here event last year and the talk is well worth a watch as he talks about his amazing work documenting some of the most overlooked humanitarian disasters in the world. Last weekend he wrote this amazing piece in The Observer about his return.
- Spin studio shares its latest work and how to perk up "depressed-looking" v’s
- Animator Dan Castro tackles the intricacies of relationships in this funny short
- “I don't want to lose my connection with the tangible”: illustrator Jack Taylor on his new digital and 3D process
- Greta Thorkels: a graphic designer creating Gilmore Girls zines and record sleeves
- Grégory Michenaud’s ongoing project sees him explore identity in a Hasidic Jewish community
- Photographer Gilleam Trapenberg explores macho culture against rose-tinted skies in Big Papi
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc