Braaaap Braaaap Braaaaap! Yeah that’s right, not only is it Friday but we’ve got your arts and design audio needs sorted so help me pod. So why not put on a favourite jumper, pour yourself a lovely mug of tea or wine and wrap your ears around this week’s offering. You know it makes sense.
First up this week we talked about the very welcome news that plans to downgrade art and design in UK schools have been dropped, we gazed into a crystal ball as part of the O2 predictions project (see video below), we discussed Mark Wallinger’s new commission for 270 works across all the London Underground stations, we asked why the French Communist Party have replaced the traditional hammer and sickle and we praised Matthew Frost and Lizzy Caplan’s fashion Film spoof (above) to the high heavens.
And secondly we talked about photographer Giles Duley’s extraordinary trip back to Afghanistan, two years after he lost both legs and an arm after stepping on a landline there. Giles spoke at our Here event last year and the talk is well worth a watch as he talks about his amazing work documenting some of the most overlooked humanitarian disasters in the world. Last weekend he wrote this amazing piece in The Observer about his return.
- Ustwo says RELAX! with new meditation app Pause
- Workwear: animator Paul Layzell on sports and nostalgia in his style
- Promoting academia with zig-zags, giant facial features and old trash: a masterclass from designer Nejc Prah
- Surreal, disturbing, NSFW and utterly thrilling: the work of Jon Rafman
- Lukas Ackermann’s playfully abstract identity for new Zurich culture hub
- Things! The finest bits and bobs we were sent in September
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- An insight into The Guardian’s newly released brand guidelines
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here