Braaaap Braaaap Braaaaap! Yeah that’s right, not only is it Friday but we’ve got your arts and design audio needs sorted so help me pod. So why not put on a favourite jumper, pour yourself a lovely mug of tea or wine and wrap your ears around this week’s offering. You know it makes sense.
First up this week we talked about the very welcome news that plans to downgrade art and design in UK schools have been dropped, we gazed into a crystal ball as part of the O2 predictions project (see video below), we discussed Mark Wallinger’s new commission for 270 works across all the London Underground stations, we asked why the French Communist Party have replaced the traditional hammer and sickle and we praised Matthew Frost and Lizzy Caplan’s fashion Film spoof (above) to the high heavens.
And secondly we talked about photographer Giles Duley’s extraordinary trip back to Afghanistan, two years after he lost both legs and an arm after stepping on a landline there. Giles spoke at our Here event last year and the talk is well worth a watch as he talks about his amazing work documenting some of the most overlooked humanitarian disasters in the world. Last weekend he wrote this amazing piece in The Observer about his return.
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- August Diary: where to go and what to see
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale