Ok so for various reasons too dull to explain here (or a velociraptor attack if you’d prefer us to make something up) we had to postpone this week’s podcast for 24 hours. But to make up for that delay we tried extra hard and hope we’ve produced 23 minutes of art and design chat to knock your socks off (toenails if you’re reading this sockless like some sort of maverick).
There’s the usual mix of stuff we loved from the site this week, plus our take on news and issues from around the creative industries. Oh, and worth a listen for Liv’s weird broken spoon analogy and my pitch-perfectly pithy summation of S Club 7. Enjoy!
And here’s the links you may need:
From the site we discussed Beck’s new album which comprises of a set of illustrated song sheets published by the excellent folk at McSweeneys, Penjet, the printer which uses felt tips and Dalton Maag’s Rio 2016 typeface.
In this section we discussed the Design Museum’s 2013 programme which includes shows for Sir Paul Smith, Barber Osgerby and Dunne & Raby and then we had a chat about the responsibility sites like ours have towards the artists we publish (with some of the similar themes explored in this piece).
The best things we saw this week
This is the Photoshop picture of Liv and flatmates as S Club 7…
- British Values: a new zine celebrating stories from immigrant communities in the UK
- A well-crafted, shapeshifting print project celebrating 100 years of design manifestos
- Movers and image-makers: a masterclass in fashion photography from Nick Knight
- Bright, beautiful and of-the-moment portraits shot in Tijuana by Jake Michaels
- Cool, contemporary identity for Crown hat-makers by Studio Moross
- LA courtroom illustrations from cases including OJ Simpson and Snoop Dogg in new monograph
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)