Oh hi again! It’s Nice That’s Studio Audience podcast is back for another irreverent look at the week’s cultural and artistic news. In this week’s instalment we’ve got a rookie cast in the form of It’s Nice That founder Will Hudson in the presenter’s chair, joined by director Alex Bec and editorial assistant James Cartwright. If you’re concerned that a gang of novices might not deliver 23 minutes of witty debate, don’t be – the guys smash it.
This week we wrestled with some pretty serious debates; like hate mail, death and five-second animations, not to mention the state of arts education and defacing priceless artefacts. We also took your advice on board and made efforts to improve the sound quality in our humble studio, converting it into an insulated den. Hopefully this has made some difference, but as ever we welcome your feedback. Onwards!
Here’s the links you may need:
We had a look at our favourite things on the site this week, that included Mr. Bingo’s hilarious Hate Mail, Studio Makgill’s impressive redesign of a funeral home for Icon’s Rethink feature and Animade’s open-call animation project Full Secs
We discussed the recent defacing of a £50m Mark Rothko painting at the Tate Modern and in the first year of £9,000 fees we found out whether any of the team would go back and study at such a high price.
The Best Thing We Saw This Week:
Here are those bleak beach scenes discussed by Alex.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy