Oh hi again! It’s Nice That’s Studio Audience podcast is back for another irreverent look at the week’s cultural and artistic news. In this week’s instalment we’ve got a rookie cast in the form of It’s Nice That founder Will Hudson in the presenter’s chair, joined by director Alex Bec and editorial assistant James Cartwright. If you’re concerned that a gang of novices might not deliver 23 minutes of witty debate, don’t be – the guys smash it.
This week we wrestled with some pretty serious debates; like hate mail, death and five-second animations, not to mention the state of arts education and defacing priceless artefacts. We also took your advice on board and made efforts to improve the sound quality in our humble studio, converting it into an insulated den. Hopefully this has made some difference, but as ever we welcome your feedback. Onwards!
Here’s the links you may need:
We had a look at our favourite things on the site this week, that included Mr. Bingo’s hilarious Hate Mail, Studio Makgill’s impressive redesign of a funeral home for Icon’s Rethink feature and Animade’s open-call animation project Full Secs
We discussed the recent defacing of a £50m Mark Rothko painting at the Tate Modern and in the first year of £9,000 fees we found out whether any of the team would go back and study at such a high price.
The Best Thing We Saw This Week:
Here are those bleak beach scenes discussed by Alex.
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)