As design commissions go, being asked to produce the limited edition two volume book documenting the career of one of America’s most iconic photographers must be both exhilarating and a bit terrifying. But London-based Studio Baer have more than risen to the challenge with this beautiful Joel Meyerowitz retrospective for Phaidon.
With nearly 600 of Joel’s photographs on show, the designers let his brilliance speak for itself in a series of big, beautifully reproduced images. But there’s a few neat tricks as well like the specially created graphic novel insert based on Joel’s movie Pop (a DVD of which comes in a slip-pocket at the end of the book) and another insert who presents paired colour and monochrome images side-by-side.
As Joel explains in the video interview below, his practice has evolved along with photography which has gone from being something “amateur” and “trade” to " to something that has a reigning place in the art world" and so his tale is a fascinating microcosm of this artform’s development since the 1960s to which Studio Baer have done real justice.
With a weighty £500 price tag it’s not going cheap but when a book looks this good it goes some way to justifying such an outlay.
- Hello and welcome to the new look It’s Nice That
- Sweet, surreal still lifes by Paris-based Clotilde Viannay
- We ask some established creatives what they wish they'd learned at art school
- Embracing the uncanny with photographer Nadia Lee Cohen (NSFW)
- Music's slick, dark designs for British Fashion Council annual review
- Wonder Room shows how to adapt posters designed for print for online
- Yolanda Dominguez asks kids to describe what they see in fashion campaigns
- Street photography shot on an iPhone during fake phonecalls by Jay Giampietro
- Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic logos unveiled
- Should creatives ever accept unpaid work? We ask some seasoned experts
- Illustrated campaign for Volkswagen uses parents lying to children as a metaphor
- We get a sneak peek of TASCHEN's new book documenting 50 years of Pirelli