The Pavilion of Reflections is a timber construction designed by students from ETH Zurich in collaboration with architect Studio Tom Emerson. The pavilion consists of a theatre, a pool and a bar and will be open to the public for 100 days throughout the Manifesta 11 festival. The students led the concept development and construction process under the guidance of the architect. “Our team represents all the relevant areas of architectural production. From the development of the concept, through detailed planning and construction of 1:1 models, to logistical organisation and documentation with our own little newspaper, in which the project is addressed from a variety of perspectives,” says Boris Gusic of Studio Tom Emerson.
The concept for the structure, which announces itself with three bold forms that sit above the surface of the lake, was inspired by the tradition of public swimming areas in the city. “The venues, known as Badis are always social places, distinctive architectural monuments within the cityscape,” say the designers. “Following from this tradition, the Pavilion of Reflections will offer a place for both encounters and education, a place for both passing the time with physical activity and with intellectual pursuits.” The pavilion, which was constructed offsite and towed into place at Bellevue on Lake Zurich, hosts a programme of talks and screenings throughout the festival and serves as an open air swimming pool during the day.
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Minju An's oddly sinister illustrations depict strange characters and floating bread
- Friday Mixtape: Warpaint's Glastonbury picks
- Karifurav Caihua’s weirdly erotic Japanese-inspired illustrations
- High octane Nike China animation gets kids to wear their bandages as a “badge of honour”
- “Evolve or die”: Bloomberg Businessweek creative director Rob Vargas on the magazine’s redesign
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- Photographer Khadija Saye has died in the Grenfell Tower fire, her family confirm
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design