Based in Singapore, designer Vanessa Ban approaches briefs methodically. “I study its contents before mapping out any possible constraints,” she says. “Design briefs in the arts and cultural fields can be more abstract than a typical design brief, but that’s why I find them quite fascinating. There’s no particular ‘visual problem’ that can be graphically solved, but rather a design solution that is a balance of typography, graphics and tactility.”
Her practice, Studio Vanessa Ban, focuses on contemporary art and design with its clients ranging from galleries, artists and curators to more corporate companies and institutions. Book design is the studio’s bread and butter with a fresh approach and great use of space. Recent projects include a pastel-coloured artist’s book that has the images and a conversation with the artist as separate booklets within a larger cover. Other highlights include a monochrome tome for an exhibition that explores architecture and space.
“Stylistically I’d say that there’s definitely a typographic approach, but I also keep things clean as I don’t believe in over-designing,” Vanessa says. “My visual language should work with the content, not overpower it.”
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU