If you’re starting your own self-published edition what on earth do you pick for its content? With such an abundance of information out there online and in print it’s tough to find your own niche. There’s one subject however, that mankind will always have an appetite for; pornography, and The Cumquat is seeking to exploit that niche as best it can with an open call for the filthiest erotic literature around. “It’s more than porn. It’s smut; the essence of filth. And the sticky juice has spilled over everything.”
But we’re not here to talk pornography; the real appeal of The Cumquat for us, other than its absurd name, is the remarkably tasteful design with which it’s been branded. Created by Studio Hi Ho, a Melbourne-based duo comprised of Wesley Waddell and Patrick Scanlan, it provides a discreet and attractive exterior with which to house the erotic material within. Will Hustler ever adopt such discreet branding? We doubt it, but the appeal of The Cumquat is the high-brow appearance masking something altogether more visceral than simple soft-focus snaps.
- You lucky devils, it's Best of the Web!
- Bogdan Ceausescu and Sebastian Pren experiment with grids and shapes in their latest zine
- Friday Mixtape: Illustrator and guitarist Sophy Hollington's *feels* mixtape
- Photographer Anastasia Korosteleva's waterborne portraits of Maldivian girls
- We caught up with photographer Adama Jalloh
- Seoul studio Everyday Practice talks about its collaborative approach to design
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again