In the last of our catch-ups with The Graduates 2011, we check-in with Bruce Usher, a fully-fledged designer in London’s Inventory studio, and Scott Taylor who has embraced his inner filmmaker to great effect.
Shortly after being chosen as one of It’s Nice That’s graduates for 2011, I started working at Inventory Studio where (very happily) I’ve been since. This has involved most of my time being spent working on nice, well-considered design. Inevitably, there has had to be somewhere for my less considered ideas to come out. The image above is from one of a pile of sketchbooks worth of puns, reminding me to try and spend more time doing less.
I’ve recently put a backwards-moving clock behind my desk, encouraging me to think differently about how I use my day. If this works, the next 12 months will involve more collaboration, more ideas, more time making things and less time sat in front of a screen.
The Graduates 2011: Bruce Usher
You’d probably think from the image I’ve spent my last year screen printing. You’d be wrong. Since graduating I’ve had a mixed year of making a films for brands like 1ina100 and SCP, while at the same time starting out on a career in advertising with my creative partner who I have probably spent more time with than any other person this past year.
We are delighted that once again top creative recruitment agency Represent has teamed up with us to support our search for the cream of this year’s crop. Represent Recruitment Limited help some of the worlds most talented graphic designers find new work. We work with designers at all levels, from Junior through to Executive Creative Director. Our business thrives through the networks we develop and our impeccable eye for great work. Formed in 2003 Represent operate out of offices and gallery space in London, EC1.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s