People often write in to ask questions of The Weekender. Who, what, when, why? Why??? This week we were thrilled to hear from Clive, aged 12, from Scotland who wrote in saying: “Hi Weekender, how do I get to write an irreverent, weekly culture round-up on an excellent creativity-championing website?” Well Clive it’s an exactly equal mix of talent, luck, blood and honour.” Good luck! Talking of irreverent, weekly culture round-ups…
Best of the site
This week we were freakin’ knocked out by J K Keller’s digital gameplaying, thrilled beyond belief by Ingrid Siliakus’ paper architecture and touched by Wimpy’s Braille burgers for blind customers. Pleasure you can’t measure.
Best of the rest
The past seven days brought us an in-depth history of the sit-com ad campaign from those clever clogs at Creative Review, The Telegraph article on Quentin Blake made us all warm and fuzzy, and Colossal rocked our socks off twice, firstly with these hyper-realistic treats from Steve Miller and then with the single biggest laugh-out-loud moment of the week…
Tweet of the week
“Sex addicts are just bonkers”
Top (naughty) punning from @jacques_aih.
Cold-feet of the week
“Oh darling. I am so pleased we are getting married tomorrow. You have made me the happiest woman in the whole world. Just one thing I should mention, the cake is going to be a bit unusual…”
Combo of the week
Dr Seuss’ Oh The Places You’ll Go! told by some of the weird and wonderful folk at the legendary Burning Man festival. YES!
Church of the week
Devotees of file-sharing in Sweden are celebrating after the Church of Kopimisim was officially recognised by the country’s authorities – file-sharing is now a religion.
Dating website of the week
Hey singletons! Fed up of sleazy bar types and dead-end dating services leaving you luckless in love and all alone on the nightbus? Well get up off that couch and comb your hair, because there’s a solution – Object Dating. You upload five things that define you and the site finds your perfect match. It’s FLAWLESS. (Socio-legal disclaimer – may not be flawless. Here’s some pictures of Ryan Gosling looking pretty in an airport though)
Stupidly well-produced viral of the week
Take society’s messed-up obsession with unrealistic physical perfection and lampoon it like you’ve never lampooned before, big and shiny. We give you the latest beauty fad, Photoshop, by Adobé…
Blood and honour Clive! Blood and honour!
- Back so soon? It's Best of the Web!
- The poised collages of New Contemporaries artist Katja Angeli
- True Print: the work of Swiss designer Dafi Kühne catalogued in fantastic new monograph
- The compositional eye of photographer Petr Pawlowski
- French designer Paul Bouigue makes a colourful fanzine about racket sports
- Anthony Burrill designs A-OK! watch in collaboration with Mr Jones Watches
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”