All right stop, collaborate and listen. The Weekender’s back with my brand new invention. Something grabs a hold of me tightly, flows like a harpoon daily and nightly.Will it ever stop? Yo, I don’t know, turn off the lights and I’ll glow, to the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle. So there you have it.
Best of the website
This week we wished we were in LA so we could go and gawp at Chris Burden’s Metropolis II, but then we were glad we were lived in London cos we got to sit down with Tom Gauld and chat about his brilliant new book Goliath. And then we were just really glad that we didn’t live in this world created by opusBOU which looks rubbish, although the animation’s AMAZING.
Best of the rest
This week more than any other best of the rest is a cheeky little puppy. A look inside Cy Twombly’s house? Got it. Carl Kleiner’s new Ikea work? Tick. Teen sensation Tavi interviewing comic book legend Dan Clowes. Course. Sheesh.
Tweet of the week
“Somewhere, the man who made Encarta is more excited than he’s been since 1994. It feels like the morning of his daughter’s wedding.”
@benpartridge has a witty take on Wednesday’s SOPA blackouts. Talking of which…
Protest of the week
On Wednesday a lot of websites took a stand against a bill being put before the US Congress which many fear would rip the heart out of the internet and stifle creativity of all sorts. It’s a complex, nuanced issue well explained on Stumbleupon, Life Hacker and in this video…
And The Guardian did a fine job rounding up the various online ways in which people registered their dismay.
(Thanks to @cybersull and @hakanugurlu for article suggestions)
‘That’s not going to help’ video of the week
So you may know Monday this week was allegedly the most depressing day of the year. So what did animator Rob Yulfo do? He took perennial loser Charlie Brown from Snoopy and set his life to Radiohead’s Creep. It’s great, but best avoided if you’re still feeling brittle.
Cake disguises of the week
2008 moment of the week
Ok so we know this is more than three years old, but it brought the It’s Nice That studio to a standstill when someone showed it this week. Don’t watch if you have an aversion to heights/energy drinks branding.
Lionel Richie homage of the week
Bit video-centric this week, n’est pas? Still, film clips spliced together to do Lionel’s hit Hello. We’re powerless not to post it.
(Found via the great people at Little White Lies)
Keep the spaghetti boiling snozzwangers!
- Glossy nostalgia from fashion photographer Charlotte Wales
- Simon Eeles’ photographic series is “a tender and wry postcard” from Australia
- Andrea Ucini’s conceptual illustrations play with perspective
- “Sensitive, rigorous” graphic design from Parisian Jérémy Glâtre
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know