All right stop, collaborate and listen. The Weekender’s back with my brand new invention. Something grabs a hold of me tightly, flows like a harpoon daily and nightly.Will it ever stop? Yo, I don’t know, turn off the lights and I’ll glow, to the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle. So there you have it.
Best of the website
This week we wished we were in LA so we could go and gawp at Chris Burden’s Metropolis II, but then we were glad we were lived in London cos we got to sit down with Tom Gauld and chat about his brilliant new book Goliath. And then we were just really glad that we didn’t live in this world created by opusBOU which looks rubbish, although the animation’s AMAZING.
Best of the rest
This week more than any other best of the rest is a cheeky little puppy. A look inside Cy Twombly’s house? Got it. Carl Kleiner’s new Ikea work? Tick. Teen sensation Tavi interviewing comic book legend Dan Clowes. Course. Sheesh.
Tweet of the week
“Somewhere, the man who made Encarta is more excited than he’s been since 1994. It feels like the morning of his daughter’s wedding.”
@benpartridge has a witty take on Wednesday’s SOPA blackouts. Talking of which…
Protest of the week
On Wednesday a lot of websites took a stand against a bill being put before the US Congress which many fear would rip the heart out of the internet and stifle creativity of all sorts. It’s a complex, nuanced issue well explained on Stumbleupon, Life Hacker and in this video…
And The Guardian did a fine job rounding up the various online ways in which people registered their dismay.
(Thanks to @cybersull and @hakanugurlu for article suggestions)
‘That’s not going to help’ video of the week
So you may know Monday this week was allegedly the most depressing day of the year. So what did animator Rob Yulfo do? He took perennial loser Charlie Brown from Snoopy and set his life to Radiohead’s Creep. It’s great, but best avoided if you’re still feeling brittle.
Cake disguises of the week
2008 moment of the week
Ok so we know this is more than three years old, but it brought the It’s Nice That studio to a standstill when someone showed it this week. Don’t watch if you have an aversion to heights/energy drinks branding.
Lionel Richie homage of the week
Bit video-centric this week, n’est pas? Still, film clips spliced together to do Lionel’s hit Hello. We’re powerless not to post it.
(Found via the great people at Little White Lies)
Keep the spaghetti boiling snozzwangers!
- Wrap up warm with this week's Best of the Web
- This is Jane: a charming photo series that displays the empowerment of women
- Brooklyn-based illustrator Aaron Fernandez’s fluorescent editorial commissions
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Join Jonathan Barnbrook, Maisie Willoughby, Wallace Henning, Anna Lomax and Jess Bonham at Nicer Tuesdays December
- Legs 11: artist Alfie Kungu’s comically long-trousered figures
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich