Hello and welcome, and what a fun week it has been. In the It’s Nice That offices we’ve mainly been eating caramel shortbread, watching goslings eat flowers, drawing pictures for the guy in the cafe down the road and making fun of Printed Pages editor James Cartwright for how he used to be a goth. THEN we found out that it was World Goth Day on Thursday!!! Can you imagine our glee. And so, this week’s Weekender is now 100% goth-themed. Apart from the bits you might have missed, they’re just normal.
Things you might have missed this week…
– WOAH! Jeffrey Lewis, THE Jeffrey Lewis made us a mixtape this week! And it’s really great.
– If you’re into toilet humour or art, or both, check out this week’s Studio Audience podcast
– In this week’s Opinion piece editor Liv Siddall wonders why Apple banned an app that promotes female masturbation.
– This week’s Bookshelf was courtesy of editor-in-chief of NOON magazine, Jasmine Raznahan.
– And here’s a blast from the past, Kirsten Lapore tells us why Aphex Twin’s Windowlicker is the best music video ever. She’s right.
Maisie Skidmore -
I was brutally laughed at when I mentioned her name in response to a brief asking for something “gothic,” but kids of the 90s get behind me, Melissa Joan Hart as Sabrina Spellman in Sabrina the Teenage Witch rocked my tiny little world from the ages of seven to 11, and seeing as she was a witch, I’m calling upon artistic licence. I’m not ashamed to admit that I still find the programme highly entertaining, if not in a slightly different way (see above.) It also has a nostalgia-inducing retro website that doesn’t seem to have changed since said era and this only enhances my enjoyment. Salem the wooden-looking cat talks, her aunts are permanently youthful and bouncy and she floats in a bubble in the opening credits. Here you go.
Liv Siddall -
For me, the world’s biggest goth has gotta be Tim Curry. I first came across him in this series of The Worst Witch from 1986 that my grandparents had on video. It is such a good series, Fairuza Balk (scary one from The Craft and Dorothy from Return to Oz) is Mildred Hubble! Anyway, watch this clip where Tim Curry the wizard heartthrob comes out of the sky and makes all the schoolgirls and witch teachers wet themselves with joy, it’s SO GOOD.
Madeleine Morley -
This was one of my absolute favourite websites as a teenager: it’s a complete archive of Slayage, a journal dedicated to intense academic writing all about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. With essays like Real Vampires Don’t Wear Shorts: The Aesthetics of Fashion in Buffy, Killing us Softly? A Feminist Search for the “Real” Buffy, and Generation Lapse: The Problematic Parenting of Joyce Summers and Rupert Giles, this site is sure to keep you clicking into the dead of the night.
James Cartwright -
As an ex-goth I like my fair share of proper goth bands, but Nine Inch Nails have always been one of my favourites. Technically they’re industrial, but they’ve done more for androgynous, eye-liner-sporting misfits in their 20+ year career than most. And every teen goth secretly wanted to be Trent Reznor. This is a video for their 1999 single We’re In This Together, a line that the Conservative party have now ruined for everyone. It’s not really their MOST gothic video – that would be 1989’s Closer, but I’d probably be fired for posting that here so seek it out yourself if you like. Enjoy!
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting