The Weekender is a simple creature with straightforward needs. Fed and watered a couple of times a day, a good brisk walk and a never-ending stream of whimsical, vaguely creative nonsense and he/she’s a happy boy/girl. But cage him/her in and he/she will come back harder, better, faster and stronger than you could ever imagine. Everyone clear, yeah? Yeah??? Good. Let’s do this…
Best of the site
This week we definitely didn’t waste any of our boss’ time playing with this Google Chrome online LEGO extravaganza, we were overwhelmed by flying robots via the Saatchi & Saatch New Directors’ Showcase and we wished Fabio Novembre would come simplify our lives in a colour-coded way. Like this.
Best of Best of the Rest
So turns out naughty school boys plus very serious sculpture is a funny combination, plus we learned about the strangely fascinating world of office design
(honest!) and we sat still and took notes from a bona fide fashion guru..
Best of the rest
Tweet of the week
What do you call a fish with no eyes? Amblyopsidae, or blindfish, commonly found in caves where they are well adapted to life in the dark.”
Somehow, the AntiJokeCat makes life better
Maybe you guys should just break up suggestion of the week….
This is hands-down the strangest article I read this week. If your relationship is floundering and you think that any of these pranks is the way to go then there is no hope. No really. And if you needed the last line about the thin line between flirty fun and assault (I think I’ve read that right) then just call it quits yeah?
Impressive/kind-of upsetting video of the week
So you’ve spent ages recreating a Van Gogh painting out of dominoes. You’re not going to do that though are you? Ye gods…
Clairvoyants of the week
In 1992 Nickleodeon buried a time capsule. Safe to say had humanity been wiped out in the mean time, it would have been a fairly odd impression of life on earth we’d have left. Because this is what was in it…
Is this stalking confusion of the week
We’ve all been there. You think that a famous actor used to be your babysitter. You contact him via Twitter to check. You’re gobsmacked when he confirms, and adds that he used to do puppet shows…
Press release of the week
In the week that I received a press release that began “Dear FirstName” it’s good to know that there’s still an element of art in PR. And art’s name is Alan Partridge… this is probably quite a UK reference..)
Keep it Austro-Hungarian gang!
- Matt and Dan’s stark graphic posters for Daniel Avery’s Divided Love
- A hotel’s Wes Anderson-esque dated decor and plant life photographed by Ina Niehoff
- Cheeky, irreverent and vivid illustrations by Thomas Hedger
- Brilliant branding and a cracking It’s Nice That collaboration: introducing Unmade
- Director collective Canada creates raunchy, psychedelic video for Tame Impala (NSFW)
- Stylish designs that aim to make online gift-buying as fun as "walking around a concept store"
- Anthony Burrill tells us about his numerous Etsy WORK HARD rip-offs
- “I wouldn’t recommend trying to make it as an illustrator to anyone”: straight-talking McBess
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- Japanese illustrator Nimura Daisuke is back with his charmingly naughty gifs
- Colourful masses with a Memphis aesthetic in Mariano Pascual’s illustrated alphabet
- Making branding with a purpose: what can we learn from the Bauhaus?