“Hey, what’s wrong with you? You’re looking kind of down to me. ’Cause things ’aint getting over. Listen to what I say.” As a bright-eyed young teen The Weekender used to rush around the playground singing those thought-provoking lyrics to all the other kids, beckoning them to gather round and listen to its wisdom. But the children used to kick The Weekender in the shins and tell it to sod off. Not anymore, not now that The Weekender has a cult international following and a harem of sexy young women hanging off it’s every word (it DOES!). Things have changed. Bring it on…
Best of the site
This week we marvelled like a drunk in a kebab shop at Maciej Dakowicz’s incredibly compelling shots of Cardiff city centre on saturday night – it ‘aint pretty. We revelled in the tonal subtleties of Anthony Gerace’s beautiful collages and we were treated to some exceptionally cool fishy design from Finland’s Toni Halonen.
Best of Best of the Web
GQ gave us this wonderful history of everyone’s favourite sitcom (NOT Friends), we took a look at Guinness’ striking new advert thanks to Creative Review and wondered whether their new slogan will ever catch on, and Dazed offered us a snapshot of what it’s like to be on tour with the XX. Cool!
Best of the rest
Creative Review gave us the full version of Facebook’s brand new commercial complete with a message from CEO Mark Zukerberg, The New Yorker gave us an economic and cultural breakdown of the joys of K-Pop, a genre we know literally nothing about until last week, and Design Observer gave us a striking portrait of China’s Guangdong industrial region.
Idiotic invention of the week
You know how your mobile phone is just TOO BIG to lug around with you what with all those huge aerials, the enormous mouthpiece and the battery pack that straps to your back? Don’t you sometimes wish you could just have some sort of high-tech glove that you could talk into instead? No, us neither, because it’s not the 1980s anymore.
Unfortunate fashion item of the week
“Say, that’s a really lovely blouse you’re wearing, where did you get it from? The colour is simply divine and that piping around the neck is just, OH MY GOD IS THAT A PENIS!??!!” That’s just a little snippet of a conversation happening up and down the country thanks to this unusual garment from ASOS.
Tweet of the week
“C’mon you guys, this new iPhone maps app really isn’t so bad, I’m using it right now and it seems to be working alri-PLUNGES INTO RAVINE”
@al_horner analyses the functionality of Apple Maps.
Sick in your mouth moment of the week
Apparently Hulk Hogan made a sex tape. BLEEURRRGGGGGHHHHHHH. Sorry, that’s all.
Sick on a stage moment of the week
Yeah sure everyone’s seen it, some of us have watched it over 100 times, but it just won’t get old. Sorry Justin and the Beliebers, but this is comedy gold.
Time to think about going on a diet moment of the week
The Telegraph ran this incredible story about an ex rugby player and his mate who were asked to leave an all-you-can-eat restaurant for fear that that they’d cripple the business for good. Seriously guys, think of those waistlines.
Sartorial tumblr of the week
We must confess, we love a beard. The wiry majesty of a well-maintained piece of facial topiary gets us all weak-kneed with excitement. They were good enough for the Edwardians and they’re sure as hell good enough for us. Interestingly someone shares our passion for face fuzz and has put together this lovely blog featuring 100 of London’s finest facially-groomed.
That’ll teach you to kick our shins.
- Oliver Jeffers, Yuri Suzuki, Anna Ginsburg and Jimmy Turrell at Nicer Tuesdays
- An exercise in colour and control: David Hockney’s 82 portraits and one still life at the RA
- Woodstock 1969 immortalised on film by iconic photographer Baron Wolman
- Laurina Paperina's dark, weird but charming work
- Studio Frith creates Patti Smith-inspired identity for the inaugural Art Night festival
- Cindy Yang’s poignant animation questions the routine and mundanity of life
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round