You know, The Weekender reminds me of that kid (there’s always one) who soiled himself in assembly. Whilst you don’t want to be anywhere near the crime scene, you still want a piece of the action, and you don’t really know why it’s so funny. Well, just as Tommy Shat-Pants will go down in history for his accidental bravery (or just get picked up by his mum at morning break) so will The Weekender, in all its strange strange glory.
Best of the Site
It’s been a busy week, we’ve thrown some unadulterated claymation gore your way in the shape of Sufjan Steven’s new video, and we showed you a fantastic tree house made by none other than the talented Nous Vous and Studio Weave, marvelled at some celebration-worthy new Andy Rementer paintings and we’ve welcomed brand spanking new intern Ross Bryant to the studio! GREAT WEEK, GUYS, GREAT WEEK.
Best of the Best of the Web
Lots of treats from other web-workers this week, in particular images from the Electron Microscope Photography Contest via HUH , Flavorwire’s fantastic photos and musings from the beautiful Sylvia Plath and some of the worst band T-Shirts of all time from the Guardian.
Best of the Rest
Come on then we’ll condense the best bits of the ever-growing world wide web for you, starting with Open Culture showing us a previously unseen Steven Spielberg film (yessss!) Making View letting us experience what it’s like to drive a Formula 1 car and Vice’s typically self-reflection inducing article which asked the troublesome question; Have house parties got better or worse?
Tweet of the Week
“I will behead them on a boat / I will behead them w a goat / & in a box & w a fox / I will do it here & there I will behead them ANYWHERE”
Yep, that’s a genuine tweet-rap from tyrannical @KngHnryVIII Thank you, internet, you utter freakshow.
Crisp archive of the week
Crisp Nation is useless and will get you nowhere in life, but at least you can have a fun few minutes of chatting about A. Crisps from your childhood that they don’t make anymore and B. How the prices of crisps have skyrocketed recently. Let’s hope our lives get a bit more exciting by the time the weekend hits, hmm?
Best effort prize of the week
I mean they gave it their best shot, but this dodgy waxwork museum in Norfolk really wasn’t quite Madame Tussaud’s was it?
Weirdest sport insight of the week
We listened in to what American footballers (well, just Brian Cushing) really say when they’re on the pitch…and it is WEIRD! (particularly at 2:12)
Best photo title of the week
I promise you it’s not what you think. Kim Kardashian doing human shit is a surreal glimpse of what that odd, odd lady gets up to out of office hours. Boy, she’s thirsty!
So that’s it. That’s your lot. Now go and down your sorrows in the local boozer, and if you’re not imitating what’s going on in this video by midnight, then you’re clearly not drunk enough. BYE!
- Wrap up warm with this week's Best of the Web
- This is Jane: a charming photo series that displays the empowerment of women
- Brooklyn-based illustrator Aaron Fernandez’s fluorescent editorial commissions
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Join Jonathan Barnbrook, Maisie Willoughby, Wallace Henning, Anna Lomax and Jess Bonham at Nicer Tuesdays December
- Legs 11: artist Alfie Kungu’s comically long-trousered figures
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich