You know, The Weekender reminds me of that kid (there’s always one) who soiled himself in assembly. Whilst you don’t want to be anywhere near the crime scene, you still want a piece of the action, and you don’t really know why it’s so funny. Well, just as Tommy Shat-Pants will go down in history for his accidental bravery (or just get picked up by his mum at morning break) so will The Weekender, in all its strange strange glory.
Best of the Site
It’s been a busy week, we’ve thrown some unadulterated claymation gore your way in the shape of Sufjan Steven’s new video, and we showed you a fantastic tree house made by none other than the talented Nous Vous and Studio Weave, marvelled at some celebration-worthy new Andy Rementer paintings and we’ve welcomed brand spanking new intern Ross Bryant to the studio! GREAT WEEK, GUYS, GREAT WEEK.
Best of the Best of the Web
Lots of treats from other web-workers this week, in particular images from the Electron Microscope Photography Contest via HUH , Flavorwire’s fantastic photos and musings from the beautiful Sylvia Plath and some of the worst band T-Shirts of all time from the Guardian.
Best of the Rest
Come on then we’ll condense the best bits of the ever-growing world wide web for you, starting with Open Culture showing us a previously unseen Steven Spielberg film (yessss!) Making View letting us experience what it’s like to drive a Formula 1 car and Vice’s typically self-reflection inducing article which asked the troublesome question; Have house parties got better or worse?
Tweet of the Week
“I will behead them on a boat / I will behead them w a goat / & in a box & w a fox / I will do it here & there I will behead them ANYWHERE”
Yep, that’s a genuine tweet-rap from tyrannical @KngHnryVIII Thank you, internet, you utter freakshow.
Crisp archive of the week
Crisp Nation is useless and will get you nowhere in life, but at least you can have a fun few minutes of chatting about A. Crisps from your childhood that they don’t make anymore and B. How the prices of crisps have skyrocketed recently. Let’s hope our lives get a bit more exciting by the time the weekend hits, hmm?
Best effort prize of the week
I mean they gave it their best shot, but this dodgy waxwork museum in Norfolk really wasn’t quite Madame Tussaud’s was it?
Weirdest sport insight of the week
We listened in to what American footballers (well, just Brian Cushing) really say when they’re on the pitch…and it is WEIRD! (particularly at 2:12)
Best photo title of the week
I promise you it’s not what you think. Kim Kardashian doing human shit is a surreal glimpse of what that odd, odd lady gets up to out of office hours. Boy, she’s thirsty!
So that’s it. That’s your lot. Now go and down your sorrows in the local boozer, and if you’re not imitating what’s going on in this video by midnight, then you’re clearly not drunk enough. BYE!
- Camelot’s typefaces bring both the contemporary and historical to the table
- Scott Newett’s eerily quiet, ethereal portraits of Chinese utopia
- Jade Schulz’s atmospheric and imaginative editorial illustrations
- Emiliano Granado’s new zine puts a fresh spin on Tour de France fandom
- The big cover up: Mathieu Thibault's translations of graffiti
- Artist Howard Fonda captures the vibrancy of summer for Ace & Tate
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale