Hey gang. How’s your week been going? Really? You did what? You filthy, filthy devil. That’s right, The Weekender’s back, and it’s going to smash into your bewildered face just like the hangover’s probably going to tomorrow morning. Until then, onwards to our doom…
Best of the Site
In the last five days we have got up close (without being in any danger) to Luca Sage’s Street Fight photographs, we considered taking up pipe-smoking because of this fabulous re-design, and were totally enchanted by Jose Domingo’s spectacular illustrations.
Best of Best of the Web
Art galore this week as we saw a fantastic interview with Alex Katz and another with Grayson Perry. We also witnessed Salvador Dali’s pretty weird home and got morbidly excited about the new death show at the Wellcome collection.
Best of the Rest
Secret tricks of the trade this week as Rookie showed us a basic guide to taking a better photo, Charlie Porter reviews the weatherman’s controversial jeans (better luck next time) and Richard Ayoade tells Dazed Digital how The Graduate influenced his work.
Tweet of the Week
“GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK FOR 3 SECONDS.”
Comedian @RobDelaney upon reading the BBC article “Could the BBC have done more to help Hungarian Jews in 1944?”
Best, rudest, grossest mash-up video of the week
The poor victim? Sweet, sweet Nigella…
You’ve-got-too-much-spare-time-Tumblr of the week.
What if Adele was Mrs.Doubtfire? This Tumblr will answer that niggling question.
Best puberty-fuelled rap of the week
Some people’s childhoods are different than others. Meet the Twerton Youtez
Best non-pretentious penthouse of the week
Prepare for yourself for house-envy.
Theme Park of the Week
Going to Asia soon? Don’t miss the new Toilet Theme Park whatever you do!
And what better way to end The Weekender than with a picture of a small boy on a Mcdonald’s themed horse? Okay, bye now! (shuts door)
- Camelot’s typefaces bring both the contemporary and historical to the table
- Scott Newett’s eerily quiet, ethereal portraits of Chinese utopia
- Jade Schulz’s atmospheric and imaginative editorial illustrations
- Emiliano Granado’s new zine puts a fresh spin on Tour de France fandom
- The big cover up: Mathieu Thibault's translations of graffiti
- Artist Howard Fonda captures the vibrancy of summer for Ace & Tate
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale