The secrets of The Weekender’s relentless energy and encyclopaedic knowledge of whimsical internet detritus have long been the subject of much debate, but have remained a closely guarded secret. Until now. You see, The Weekender exists in a state of perpetual hyperactivity, brought about by a regimented diet of caffeine pills, chocolate milk and Jammy Dodgers. In this heightened state of awareness it reclines in the centre of a multi-screen interface that bombards it with meme after meme of Paris Hilton photographs, Rick Astley and cats. You thought it was all fun and games over at The Weekender’s house right? Wrong, this is a serious business. Laugh with me!
Best of the site:
This week we hung out with magazine cool-kids Vice, and talked publishing, parties and pissing people off, marvelled at the experimental poster creations of French designers, Helmo, and took some time to have an in-depth look at Hugo and Marie’s work for Rihanna’s latest album. Yeah, good.
Best of Best of the Web:
This week on Best of the Web, if we weren’t immersed in the womb-like plastic bubble of experimental living space Cocoon, we were waxing lyrical about the economic and social history of peanut butter or just thinking about what a great guy Jon Stewart is. He’s pretty great.
Best of the rest:
Creative Review served us up a delicious helping of Apple’s return to form in the world of print advertising, Dezeen showed us how to make our own glass-blown particle accelerator with the help of talented Hackney scientists Supercollider, and Port introduced us to one of the nicest, most philosophical piano repairmen we’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.
Tweet of the Week
“After 2+ years of living by myself, I think it’s cooler to have someone around to talk to than the freedom to workout naked”.
@JesseMoynihan has a point – there’s really only so many nude press-ups a person can enjoy.
Questionably witty children of the week
If you were assigned the task of moderating a forum on which scores of children posted their own made-up jokes, it would be heinously unprofessional, not to mention potentially illegal, to take the jokes you moderated and publish them on your own website for all the world to see. Unprofessional but HILARIOUS!
Celebrity crib of the week
Want to live in a house previously owned by Steve from Iron Maiden? Not likely. Want to snoop around the tastelessly decorated baroque nightmare of a house previously owned by Steve from Iron Maiden? Now you’re talking!
Culturally confused footballer of the week
You’ve all seen it, you’ve all laughed at it, but let’s just have one more look at Joey Barton mastering the French language. Up the boot!
Misguided clothing of the week
With winter closing in you’re going to be in need of a thick, wooly neck warmer to keep you from catching your death on those cold frosty mornings. But what style to go for? A chunky knit, a cashmere pashmina, or a giant piece of bacon? Nope, we can’t decide either.
Cat-themed internet thing of the week
The premise is simple; pictures of cats that look like pin-ups. Do you need to know any more?
Now watch me scoff this bag of biscuits!
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- The Midlands folk who celebrate all-things American, shot beautifully by Tom Martin
- Matthew Brooks documents the eerie homes of mid-century Italian-Canadian immigrants
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)