So two and a half weeks to the big day people. Now you know The Weekender is your pal, it’s not here to tell you what to do, rather just maybe give you a nudge in the right direction. But you’ve got two days off after this and THERE”S LOADS TO DO. Ok, sorry, I didn’t mean to panic you. It’s fine, plenty of time just get the food sorted. And the presents. And cards (everyone you know or have ever met should cover it). You’ll need decorations. And a tree, obviously. Oh and you need to get all this done in and among the many, many parties organised on the most joyously spurious “festive” grounds; “Penultimate Tuesday before Christmas drinks anyone? Mine’s a pint…” Dance to my merry tune…
Best of the Site
This week we loved Derek Welsh’s new take on dominos (the game rather than the ubiquitous pizza take-away) we marvelled at Alain Delorme’s pictures of the most insanely-overload Chinese vehicles imaginable and we cringed (all-over body style) at the wondrous Missed High Fives blog.
Best of Best of the Web
This week we enjoyed Dazed’s interview with Lawrence Weiner ahead of his new show, we were fascinated to find out more& about Maria Popova, who runs inspiration-central Brain Pickings and we paid our respects to Oscar Niemeyer, the brilliant Brazilian master of the curve who died on Wednesday.
Best of the Rest
The Guardian had a good piece on the new tranche of Jeremy Hutchinson’s Erratum series while if it’s short documentaries that float your boat take your pick between Vice’s look at some Shoreditch, um, characters and this piece about the World Beard and Moustache Championships.
Tweet of the Week
“Roses are red, Bacon is also red, Poems are hard, Bacon.”
One for all the romantics out there courtesy of @D0N74 –thank him later.
Nagging doubts of the week
You know that feeling when it suddenly dawns on you that you might have made a mistake? That pit of the stomach ache when you realise what you’ve done and there’s no going back? So imagine if you’d been asked to demolish a property and you set to work assiduously razing it to the ground efficiently and effectively. And then it hits you. Did they mean the historic 18th Century chateau? Or the ugly little outhouse in the grounds? Gulp.
Gift idea of the week
I have a theory that you can improve pretty much any meal by adding cheese and in the same way you can soup up pretty much any product by producing a rap version. So with that sage advice ringing in your ears, we give you the Rap Coloring Book, in case you have youngsters to buy for this Yuletide. You’re welcome!
Internet eating itself blog of the week
This site collects photos of hipster types taking photos of their food. It’s funny and quite clever but thinking about it too much might make your head hurt.
Judgmental expressions of the week
There’s two types of judges on television’s Masterchef. On the one hand there’s those who know their onions (see what I did there?) and can make succinct and constructive comments about the food they are presented with. Then there’s those judges (Greg Wallace) who just say what they’re eating and add a “y” on the end: “This rice pudding is ricey, it’s puddingy etc…” But what all the judges have in common is the ability to pull the most wonderful faces to add to the melodrama, and so naturally someone has brought them together on an Instagram account. It’s Instagramy, it’s photo-y…
Animal kingdom combo of the week
Want to see a cat playing with dolphins? Oh no I’m not really into that. What???!! Nah I’m just kidding, hit me up. Phew! Here" you go.
You need to get booze as well! Go go go!
- Illustrator Antoine Cossé talks about the highs and lows of creating comic books
- How Greg Barth and Droga5’s surreal, retro-futuristic ad for Mailchimp was made
- Llewellyn Mejia's paintings created in between commercial projects
- Robert Nicol’s brutish but spirited illustrations spanning artistic mediums
- Parterre de Rois: the Black issue features Anish Kapoor and Nina Chanel Abney
- Noah Beckwith’s experimental approach to his “stream-of-consciousness” posters
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero depicts the female body as a canvas for Apartamento (NSFW)
- After Disney, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, Miranda Tacchia’s characters found life on Instagram
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris