“I hear the drums echoing tonight, but she hears only whispers of some quiet conversation. She’s coming in 12:30 flight, the moonlit wings reflect the stars that guide me towards salvation. I stopped an old man along the way hoping to find some old forgotten words or ancient melodies. He turned to me as if to say… " I’m gong to have to stop you there Toto, what the hell are you talking about? It may have been the 1980s when you wrote this drivel but your nonsense lyrics and harassing of geriatric passers-by is unacceptable by today’s standards. Leave that poor old man alone and come with me, The Weekender, purveyor of joyful nuggets and the gatekeeper of Saturday and Sunday. I’ve got a lesson to teach you…
Best of the site
This week we enjoyed the pallid skin and steely gazes on display in Nadav Kander’s latest series of striking iridescent nudes 6 Women, 1 Man, wished we’d sired a child so that we could read excellent new dads’ mag Kindling Quarterly without feeling like a bunch of wannabes, and could not get our heads round the amount of hours dedicated to making this live-action remake of Toy Story
Best of Best of the Web
Mr Porter introduced us to a tailor who’s made suits for Obama, Bush, Clinton and pretty much every other president in the last 30 years, we went shopping with Bullett and Girls costume designer Jenn Rogien and laughed REALLY hard at Vice’s brutal critique of Esquire’s interview with Megan Fox.
Best of the rest
Creative Review published this magnificent response to American Airlines’ redesign from Massimo Vignelli, designer of the airline’s original logo, Eye introduced us to 19th century poster collector and dentist Hans Sachs, and Nowness gave us our first glimpse of Emily Kai Bock’s documentary on New York’s underground rap scene.
Tweet of the week
“Did u know that an anagram of HAMBURGERS is SHERGAR BUM! Coincidence??”
@DI8NNE identifies a perfectly reasonable explanation for this week’s horse-meat-in-burgers debacle.
Fictional legal issues of the week
Before embarking on a perilous mission into the heart of a dragon’s lair at the behest of a wizard and a gang of aggressive dwarves, you’d want to be sure that you had your life insurance all sorted out, your affairs in good order and at least a vague idea of a legal loophole in your contract should the mission turn sour. Unless of course you’re a stupid, fat hobbit.
Fashion crimes of the week
For about four years of my adolescence Destiny’s Child owned the charts. You couldn’t move for female friends blasting their songs (or worse, just singing them in your face) and claiming that these three women were the future of music. They were right of course, but looking back at their terrible outfits it’s a wonder that anyone ever bought their records.
Feathered musician of the week.
Move over Diplo and Switch, this budgie owns dubstep…
AA Gill wannabes of the week
About to book your summer holiday? Looking for the perfect hotel in which to have your perfect stay to complete your perfect getaway? Before you do, be sure to check Trip Advisaargh for a review of your chosen destination or you could end up being “welcomed by an inebriated man with food crusted on his cheek. He shouted at the blonde woman, stepped back into his room slamming the door, immediately re-emerged and shuffled straight into an adjacent bathroom where he relieved himself noisily for several minutes.” The horror!
Hip-hop of the week
There are no words….
Not really sure what the lesson was actually. Back to your song. “I blessed the rains!”
- Cats flying out of speakers and our technology addiction: highlights from Channel 4 Random Acts
- Kyle Bean's tactile simulacrums are brought to life with wit and precision
- Margot Bowman rethinks the selfie and the future of personalisation
- Warriors Studio and Freytag Anderson explore process and dialogue in new identity for GDFS 16
- Gorgeous Memphis-inspired, primary colour-packed work from Benjamin Rawson
- A cacophony of styles come together for this wacky promo animation for Gutter Fest
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- The best design courses in the UK, according to The Guardian University Guide 2017
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"