Hold on to your hats kids, we’re coming to the end of a MASSIVE week and The Weekender’s gearing up for a proper bender. There’s a birthday going on at Weekender HQ and the party rings and punch are in full swing. But what’s that, you wish there was some way you could be more involved? Well let me tell you something, you can! Come on in, there’s no guest list on the door of this friendly shindig – but there is a massive bouncer ready to nut you one in the face if you misbehave. Don’t misbehave.
Best of the site
This week we had much to be thankful for on the site, like these bizarre fruity nudes from photographer Heidi Voet, a charming change of address booklet from designer brothers Maddison Graphic, and these absurdly great explosive shots, China Bang, from the fiercely talented Wilson Hennessy. Pow!
Best of best of the web
Down at the bottom of the homepage we’ve had a crop of excellent Sundance Film Festival portraits from The Guardian, Design Week gave us the excellent news that the studios responsible for designing London 2012 can now take full credit, and marvelled at an excellent piece of online luck over at Wired.
Best of the rest
Creative Review took us through The Gunn Report’s list of this year’s most awarded adverts, Design Observer offered up this fascinating piece on branding by numbers, and BULLETT took us inside the weird, wonderful (actually not that wonderful) home of everyone’s favourite ex-child Macaulay Culkin.
Tweet of the week
“Kern After Reading”
@matt__adams smashes design film titles out of the park!
Story to make you feel old of the week
Remember The Simpsons? Of course you do, they defined your entire childhood and, if you were a late developer, most of your adolescence. And for some of us that bright yellow family still provide the moral compass by which we navigate life’s choppy waters. But one of my favourite episodes is now 20 years old which makes me feel a confusing mix of sadness and fear. Fear that my life is rapidly evaporating and soon I’ll likely be dead and sadness because I wish I could go back and enjoy all those magnificent episodes again for the very first time. Stupid TV!
Computer game cookery of the week
When I used to live inside The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time I often wondered what it was that Link used to drink that made his health rocket up so we could go and kick magical butt some more. Turns out it was mostly just carrots, parsnips and onions. Problem solved! Now all I need to do is fashion a Hylian shield…
Rappers vs small children battle of the week…
“My message to you, Azealia Banks, is if you try harder to do your song, you’ll be an even better rock star. Practice makes perfect!” This is old but you don’t care, these kids are incredible!
Korean fan art of the week
Surely nobody loves Gangnam Style enough to replicate the entire video as a hand-drawn flip book requiring many thousands of hours work? Oh they do? Right, sorry Excellent!
Dangerous anti-feline propaganda of the week
When you return home tonight to be greeted by your attentive, fluffy moggy, spare a thought for America’s population of mice and birds. You see, studies confirm that the adorable little ball of fluff and hugs curled up at your feet is in a fact a cold, calculating, utterly ruthless killer capable of butchering many thousands of equally adorable animals just for fun. Think on that next time you’re cuddling up to Mr Whiskers. You’ve allowed a serial killer into your home.
What did I tell you about misbehaving?
- Nine vital nuggets about the hows and whys of being a project manager or producer – and why all the hard work is worth it
- Stars, drag queens, and the literati: Avedon and Warhol’s heroes and antiheroes
- Designer Morag Myerscough gives us a peek at her bookshelf
- Photographer Matthew Brown explores the forgotten details in a university campus
- First Dates for those who create: Studio Swine tells us about their working relationship
- Experimental Jetset, Build and others' war posters curated by Pentagram's Alex Brown
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?