Ciao bello/bella! This week the Weekender has been in Milan feasting on cured meats, cheeses, pizzas and pasta. It saw some design too. Not once did it manage to get its hands on a gelato though, which was enormously frustrating as frozen cream is The Weekender’s favourite thing, except for maybe endless diatribes about the nature of its own existence and the incessant pursuit of loosely design-related junk with which to fatten the minds of its followers. Anyway, apart from all the food there was a lot of heavy boozing, some chairs, canapés (pronounced kahnaypes), a tent, loads more chairs and an outdoor swimming pool in a villa. So yeah, that about sums it up. But what was going on outside of Italy’s design capital? Let’s take a look shall we…..
Best of the site
This week it was nudity (surprising?!) that really got things going on the site thanks to Caroline Mackintosh and her cheeky shots of skinny-dippers, some hilarious newspaper photobombs in the London Underground had us howling with laughter and these revoltingly funny comics from Joan Cornella managed to delight and offend in equal measure. Boss!
Best of Best of the Web
Nestled in at the bottom o’ the homepage was an in-depth look at the art of beer label design from The Independent, some seriously saucy vintage porno posters from the dirty folks over at Sabotage Times, and a wonderful look at pop culture’s relationship with the late Iron Lady on Flavorwire.
Best of the rest
Elsewhere Creative Review teased us with a sneak preview of a new show from the brilliant Malika Favre, The Guardian celebrated Radio Times regular illustrator Eric Fraser and Dazed Digital wondered whether music might or might not sound better on drugs. No way!
Tweet of the week
“I left my wallet in Church with about £40 in it. I’ve been told the wallet is there I just hope the money is too. I don’t want trouble.”
@porksmith speaks for us all.
Cat-related sporting imagery of the week
Hm, what’s that? You’re on the hunt for a massive archive of images of sporting ball-players in which all the balls in the pictures have been replaced with cats because you’re in the process of putting together a pitch for a client that manufactures cat food specially engineered for cats that play sports professionally? Sounds like you need Sport Balls Replaced With Cats
Feeling of insignificance of the week
Space is massive. This site proves it through the medium of the online scroll. Repeat after me: “Nothing I do will ever matter.” Just kidding. You’re all beautiful, and maybe even talented.
Massive creepy-crawly of the week
Spiders are shit, no doubt. Watching the film Arachnophobia ended up being one of the defining emotional experiences of my childhood and I can now no longer imagine an eight-legged creature let alone be in the presence of one without convulsing with fear. Good news for me then that they’ve just discovered a new giant species of tarantula. Oh! There go my bowels.
Blog relevant to how spiders make me feel of the week
Arrivederci kids! No videos this week because there were no funny ones. NONE!
- All of human life was there: welcome back to the Best of the Web
- Jody Barton's passionate and political work masters many disciplines
- A Hail Mary pass: how to win the ads at the Super Bowl
- February diary: Where to go and what to see
- Hey Studio’s athletic and geometric typeface for ESPN’s magazine
- Karl Hab’s hypnotic photographs taken out of a plane window
- The importance of creative education: why making is as important as maths, reading and science
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Pentagram’s dynamic and shifting identity for a Serbian digital arts festival
- PETA’s x-rated Super Bowl advert banned from TV (NSFW)
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language