This week The Weekender has packed its bags and come away to Amsterdam, a city predominantly famous for its excellent tram system. What’s that? Really? It’s legal! Whatever next? That too?! My tram-spotting plans are starting to look a little staid. Let’s do this thing first, European style (imagine an accordion playing throughout).
Best of the site
Best of best of the web
Best of the rest
There was some musing to be done this week – over whether Jay Z has a new career as a logo designer, over just how genius is the mind that plotted The Social Network as a Facebook timeline and whether anything brings such simple joy as shorn Austrian alpacas.
Tweet of the week
“Something’s only a spoiler if it genuinely spoils your enjoyment of the whole movie, e.g learning a massive twist or that Nic Cage is in it.”
This made me chuckle from @Olly_Richards, but dude Adaptation?
Scissors of the week
Utterly compelling day in the life video of Los Angeles’ oversized ceremonial scissors.
Reading list of the week
We’re very proud of our Bookshelf feature and we get some amazing names on board but the chance to see what maths genius, code-breaker extraordinaire and father of modern computing Alan Turing liked to leaf through is an absolute privilege.
Spoilsports of the week
Remember that rubbish fake ID Stephen Manning made for you that somehow worked when you went into pubs aged 14? Well now bouncers are checking social network profiles…
Photoshopped Barack Obama of the week
Graphic designer Everett Hiller likes to throw a massive party every year and then Photoshop celebrities into the pictures. I’m not sure why either but some of them are ruddy brilliant.
Amphibian of the week
You can stop imagining the accordion now.
- Helen Eunhwa Oh’s vivid illustrations draw the eccentricities from everyday life
- Diane Deschenaux’s abstract images explore Switzerland's farming industry
- Is postgraduate study right for you? A handy guide to help you decide
- Jan Novák’s conceptual typefaces and identities are both functional and clear
- Parisian studio Akatre on their music video for Grand Yellow
- Max Baitinger’s comic Birgit illustrates the ballsy decision to quit your job
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Pigalle, Ill-Studio and Nike have redesigned the Paris Duperré basketball court
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Why materials matter: Seetal Solanki on the Grenfell Tower tragedy