This week The Weekender has packed its bags and come away to Amsterdam, a city predominantly famous for its excellent tram system. What’s that? Really? It’s legal! Whatever next? That too?! My tram-spotting plans are starting to look a little staid. Let’s do this thing first, European style (imagine an accordion playing throughout).
Best of the site
Best of best of the web
Best of the rest
There was some musing to be done this week – over whether Jay Z has a new career as a logo designer, over just how genius is the mind that plotted The Social Network as a Facebook timeline and whether anything brings such simple joy as shorn Austrian alpacas.
Tweet of the week
“Something’s only a spoiler if it genuinely spoils your enjoyment of the whole movie, e.g learning a massive twist or that Nic Cage is in it.”
This made me chuckle from @Olly_Richards, but dude Adaptation?
Scissors of the week
Utterly compelling day in the life video of Los Angeles’ oversized ceremonial scissors.
Reading list of the week
We’re very proud of our Bookshelf feature and we get some amazing names on board but the chance to see what maths genius, code-breaker extraordinaire and father of modern computing Alan Turing liked to leaf through is an absolute privilege.
Spoilsports of the week
Remember that rubbish fake ID Stephen Manning made for you that somehow worked when you went into pubs aged 14? Well now bouncers are checking social network profiles…
Photoshopped Barack Obama of the week
Graphic designer Everett Hiller likes to throw a massive party every year and then Photoshop celebrities into the pictures. I’m not sure why either but some of them are ruddy brilliant.
Amphibian of the week
You can stop imagining the accordion now.
- All of human life was there: welcome back to the Best of the Web
- Jody Barton's passionate and political work masters many disciplines
- A Hail Mary pass: how to win the ads at the Super Bowl
- February diary: Where to go and what to see
- Hey Studio’s athletic and geometric typeface for ESPN’s magazine
- Karl Hab’s hypnotic photographs taken out of a plane window
- The importance of creative education: why making is as important as maths, reading and science
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Pentagram’s dynamic and shifting identity for a Serbian digital arts festival
- PETA’s x-rated Super Bowl advert banned from TV (NSFW)
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language