This week The Weekender has packed its bags and come away to Amsterdam, a city predominantly famous for its excellent tram system. What’s that? Really? It’s legal! Whatever next? That too?! My tram-spotting plans are starting to look a little staid. Let’s do this thing first, European style (imagine an accordion playing throughout).
Best of the site
Best of best of the web
Best of the rest
There was some musing to be done this week – over whether Jay Z has a new career as a logo designer, over just how genius is the mind that plotted The Social Network as a Facebook timeline and whether anything brings such simple joy as shorn Austrian alpacas.
Tweet of the week
“Something’s only a spoiler if it genuinely spoils your enjoyment of the whole movie, e.g learning a massive twist or that Nic Cage is in it.”
This made me chuckle from @Olly_Richards, but dude Adaptation?
Scissors of the week
Utterly compelling day in the life video of Los Angeles’ oversized ceremonial scissors.
Reading list of the week
We’re very proud of our Bookshelf feature and we get some amazing names on board but the chance to see what maths genius, code-breaker extraordinaire and father of modern computing Alan Turing liked to leaf through is an absolute privilege.
Spoilsports of the week
Remember that rubbish fake ID Stephen Manning made for you that somehow worked when you went into pubs aged 14? Well now bouncers are checking social network profiles…
Photoshopped Barack Obama of the week
Graphic designer Everett Hiller likes to throw a massive party every year and then Photoshop celebrities into the pictures. I’m not sure why either but some of them are ruddy brilliant.
Amphibian of the week
You can stop imagining the accordion now.
- American Studies: Jeremy Liebman unpacks his father’s photography archive
- Christian Pardini's Studio Flat creates neat type-based posters, postcards and identity design
- Lynnie Zulu decorates her exotic characters in punchy hues and patterns
- Production Type and Large’s confident and consistent designs for electronic music mag Trax
- Mark Manzi makes a spectacle of spectators at the Queen’s 90th Birthday
- New work from Supermundane show Everything Connects
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round