This week The Weekender has spent most of its time ‘a la Flashdance’, in a skin-tight leotard and leg warmers gyrating provocatively at a floor-length mirror and mouthing sexy lyrics to itself. And why has this been the primary activity in The Weekender’s week? Because of Daft Punk and Pharrell’s new single of course; The Weekender can’t resist that gorgeous man with his sensual lyrics, beautiful face and winning smile, nor the effortlessly catchy tunes of its favourite French electro pioneers. Sing it with me now: “We’re up all night to get lucky, we’re up all night to get lucky, we’re up all night to get lucky!”
Best of the site
You may have already caught on to the Daft Punk theme this week, but just to really hammer it home, THE best thing on the site this week was Saturday Night Live’s preview of that aforementioned single, and when we weren’t getting hot under the collar for Pharrell, Malika Favre was pushing all our buttons with her erotic type. To cool down we had a good old chuckle at the witty work of Baltimore illustrator Lesser Gonzalez Alvarez.
Best of Best of the Web
Rich pickings this week in the form of these magnificent negative early film reviews of a variety of cult classics, this heart-warming video from New Zealand’s parliament building that made British Politics seem very tedious indeed and some art-themed cakes that got our tastebuds and eyes all excited.
Best of the rest
Creative Review said a fond farewell to legendary graphic designer and repute all-round nice guy Storm Thorgerson, Design Observer pushed for less signage and more creative use of form in contemporary architecture, and Port caught up with Warp films to talk about their rich history.
Tweet of the week
“Liberté, Egalité and @Beyonce.”
@RuPaul pays homage to the real queen of pop.
Political make-up tutorial of the week
She may have left this mortal plane, but the spirit of Margaret Thatcher lives on within us all, through Spitting Image, power suits and litre-bottles of hairspray. But for some that won’t be enough, and so Paul Kindersley has kindly put together this step-by-step guide to channelling the Iron Lady on your own face. Powerful stuff!
Next big web trend of the week
Icelandic incest-averter of the week
You know the drill Icelanders, you’ve consumed one too many Bacardi Breezers of an evening and find yourself mistaking a distant cousin for your next bit of no-strings night-time fun. It happens to you all, whether you’ll acknowledge it or not (this is supposedly true, apparently the people of Iceland are more closely related than any other nation). But don’t you wish there was a way that all of these near-incest occurrences could be ruled out for good? Don’t ever say we don’t have your back, Iceland.
Reminder to leave your desk of the week
Seriously people, have some self-respect and leave your desk at lunch time, otherwise you might turn into one of these sad cases.
- All of human life was there: welcome back to the Best of the Web
- Jody Barton's passionate and political work masters many disciplines
- A Hail Mary pass: how to win the ads at the Super Bowl
- February diary: Where to go and what to see
- Hey Studio’s athletic and geometric typeface for ESPN’s magazine
- Karl Hab’s hypnotic photographs taken out of a plane window
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- Bureau Mirko Borsche works with Nike Basketball on a new graphic language
- Challenging sexism, workplace stress and mindfulness through illustration
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?
- Why Fonts Matter, and how they impact your mood