Mein Gott es ist hot. London is wilting under the sun and we are not terrifically happy about it, I saw a tiny baby (sex indeterminate) today bawling in pure p*ssed-off self-indulgence. That little guy/girl spoke for us all. But never fear, The Weekender is here to offer some games that make heatwaves fun. What about Too Hot or Not, whereby you and an opponent try and guess how uncomfortable passers-by are feeling? Or Bamboozle the Pervs, whereby any time you see a man wolfwhistling at a passing lady, run up to them and drop a stick at their feet from your mouth. Stick with us kiddos and you’ll do just fine. Speaking of which…
Best of the site
This week we went “Whaaaaaaaaaat?” at Sharon Moody’s hyper-real paintings of comic books, “Ooooooooooooooh!” at Graphic Thought Facility’s new Frieze ads and “Mmmmmmmmmmmmm” at Bianca Chang’s paper sculptures.
Best of best of the rest
We’ve nailed colours to the mast of the good ship Wes Anderson long ago and these alternative Moonrise Kingdom posters merely stoked the fires of our admiration. Elsewhere it was great to hear interesting things from Sir Jonathan Ive and Herzog and De Meuron in some big proper newspapers.
Best of the rest
Tweet of the week
A bit left field this but it seems right and proper to flag up the first ever Tweet from co-founder Jack Dorsey…
Second Wes Anderson mention of the week
Even taking into account our just-mentioned Wes Anderson-philia, this is pretty funny. Round up some chums, head out to the cinema and play a little Wes Anderson bingo…
What? Why? How? of the week
While you watch this amazingly weird stock video, in the forefront of your mind keep this question – when would anyone anywhere ever possibly need to use this?
Advice of the week
Esquire to the rescue this week with a great article about planning and hosting the perfect dinner party. Entertaining for men. Mentertaining perchance? No, that sounds like something very different.
We will never be over this kind of thing realisation of the week
Ladies and gentleman we give you Perfectly Timed Photos…
Party starter of the week
In just a couple of weeks Poland will co-host the Euro 2012 football championships, so naturally they decided to release a celebratory song. And even with Eurovision happening this weekend (don’t pretend you’d forgotten) this is mindboggling. Bring on the nuns!
I’m guessing from here but I’d say you’re too hot. I’m right aren’t I?
- Lili des Bellons illustrates a fluoro world of monsters and robots
- Type tells Tales: Steven Heller and Gail Anderson explore the performative traits of type
- Things: The post full of positivity we received this April
- Photographer Louis De Belle’s unconventional portraits of New York commuters
- M35 creates a topographical identity for a project about Australia's rural landscape
- We speak to the three creatives behind a Nigerian-focused editorial and film for Kenzo
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again