The Weekender is staying at a friend’s house this week and what else do you do when you’re not at home? Eat junk food, stay up late and watch inappropriate (legal) movies. But with a four day weekend ahead what else can Weekender do? Jubilee-themed fun of course! I suggest trifle balancing on heads, asking everyone to carry you like a Queen (who didn’t do that in junior school?), shouting “off with his head!” to everyone that passes by because that will never get old and the traditional diamond hunt that may take more than the four days, but no matter, here’s some treats to get you in the mood…
Best of the site
A very colourful week on the this week as we were stunned by the marvellousness of Fabian Oefner’s photographs of watercolours and ferrofluid. Nico Krinjo caught us off guard with these beautifully eclectic photographs of all sorts of things including babes, colourful fabrics and reptiles, and we couldn’t get enough of Agi & Sam’s tropical lookbooks of cool, unusual menswear.
Best of best of the web
Jealously was rife here when we found out that 24-year-old Jessica Walsh had been added as partner of Sagmeister’s studio and celebrated in a naughty and nude way. An 11-year old interviewed the Hives and we learned all about the importance of visual journalism.
Best of the rest
Fancy having a bit of a sing song? Then check out this list of Best No. 1 singles from 1952 to right now. For something a bit more intellectual the Telegraph’s coverage of this year’s Hay Festival is top notch and won’t stop till next week. And if you want a little bit more of brilliant design pioneer Thomas Heahtherwick then check out this video on Dezeen this week.
Tweet of the week
“What did you do for the #jubilee in 2012, Dad?” “Well son, I f*cking moaned and moaned and moaned.”
Keeping it real like a happy meal, is comedy writer Andy Wolten’s old man- just what we need to level out all this joyous buzz.
Stray dog of the week
Man’s best friend triumphs again in this great story of a dedicated dog that ran 1000 miles alongside a team of cyclists for just a little bit more food.
Coolest kids of the week
Why did I never look this good as child?! Check out these well-dressed, cool as a cucumber kids.
Controversial lolly of the week
I’m glad someone’s looking out for what we really need in this life, a holy water and absinthe ice lolly, Vice Lolly is the next offering- refreshing, biblical and zesty…
Trailblazer of the week
Cat videos is what we expect from the internet now, like knowing salt will always go with vinegar, but when did this craze start? In 1903 apparently with this video called The Sick Kitten. It’s weird, pointless so no change from what we see now. It’s a classic!
Olympic news of the week
The announcement that wifi access on the Underground will be available is pretty cool. Supposedly to allow people to check travel updates, really we all know it will just allow people to tweet more instantly about why some people can’t seem to stand on the right and how we gave up our seat for that pregnant woman (at least we hope she was).
And if you’re still looking for more fun, try tying a Union Jack flag around yourself like a cape and running down a hill will make you feel like the bomb and like you’re flying obvs.
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Design studio Build creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Enter your work for the chance to be an It’s Nice That Graduate of 2016!
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs